1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Jeff Guinn's "The Last Gunfight" about Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday and the O.K. Corral which was excellent. I know Guinn's been mentioned here positively before, but this is the first book of his I read.

I love Wild West nonfiction and this did not disappoint. Highly recommended.

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I love everything I’ve read by Guinn.

garrow likes this.
  3. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Lonesome Dove - why did I wait so long to read such a good book? When it ended, I had that emptiness feeling.

Paris Without Her - Gregory Curtis. A widower's account of trips to Paris with his wife and following her death. Skimmed some of it, the tone wasn't to my liking.

4. Flip Wilson

I was in Larry McMurty’s bookstore in Archer City last week and passed on a signed copy of Lonesome Dove for $2,500.

Tighthead likes this.
  5. Tighthead

How much for a Ricky Schroeder signed VHS?

6. Flip Wilson

They give you $9 to take it off their hands.

I Should Coco, garrow and Tighthead like this.
  7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I read Lonesome Dove last fall. Agreed that I cannot believe I waited that long. It’s fantastic. I think the mini-series always made me think it was less than literary. What a dumb impression that was.

Tighthead likes this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

9. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

"Ready Player Two" was not as incredible as "Ready Player One," which shot onto my list of favorites, but definitely still worth reading. You really have to read the first one to understand the second though.

Severian likes this.
  10. Tighthead

That's exactly what I thought - maybe a melodrama, something like that.

The only book I re-read on a regular basis is My Antonia, but Lonesome Dove will be the second one.

I also read Last Picture Show. Very good.

Hermes likes this.
  11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

12. Tighthead

Just read Snow Falling on Cedars. Great story but I found the writing to be very heavy and overly descriptive. First half was a bit of a slog.

Lean on Pete by Willy Vlautin. Easy to read in an afternoon, enjoyed it more than his most recent one.

Draft saved Draft deleted