1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

It takes me weeks to get through books. I don't know how one can blaze through it for research purposes.

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

This book was only 256 pages, so that helped. It definitely takes me a lot longer to get through others.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Just as an aside, wasn't Pappy Van Winkle the preferred bourbon of the "big baby albino head" on Justified. :)

4. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Just read Perfidia, the first in Ellroy's new L.A. Quartet prequel. Halfway through The Storm, the second and most recent one.

Find they read like Ellroy parodies. Just more style than substance. Don't think I will finish The Storm.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I had no idea Ellroy was still around. By all accounts he's an absolutely crazy asshole.

I've tried with him but there always seems to be a "look at me writing!" quality I couldn't get past.

Tighthead likes this.
  6. Tighthead

It's gotten worse - I was a fan. He does seem to be a massive douche.

7. Tighthead

Missy Marston "Bad Ideas"

Just read this. Easy read, but I'm intimately familiar with the root story. Can read it in a day.

What is that roof story? Just a man trying to jump a rocket Lincoln a mile through the air.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I work with a guy from Morrisburg, Ontario. I had never heard about this. Incredible.

Tighthead likes this.
  9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

After watching In and Of Itself, I really wanted to read this book, and while it goes over some of the same material covered in the show, it goes into a lot more detail. I wanted to savor this, so I would use it as a reward. Get an article turned in. Read a couple of chapters. Grade one stack of papers. Read a little more. So it took me a while to finish it, but it was worth the wait.

Joe Bob says check it out.

10. Tighthead

After burning out on Ellroy I've picked up Elmore Leonard. I may have read Glitz a million years ago.

Nice easy reads, I can pop through three or so a week. Borrowing e books from the library is an amazing convenience.

Particularly enjoyed Killshot, Road Dogs and The Bounty Hunters so far.

Flip Wilson likes this.
  11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I'm still working my way through the Travis McGee series.
    I just finished The Dreadful Lemon Sky.
    It was great (as are they all).

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

If any band could be said to have had a lead bassist it was The Who (listen to Live at Leeds or Quadrophenia) but The Ox, a newish bio of John Entwistle by Paul Rees (whose Robert Plant bio is definitely worth a read) with the cooperation of Entwistle's first wife and son, does little to examine how he developed the style that made him so revered and so integral to the sound of The Who. Instead it's largely a story of the usual rock star decadence and debauchery, along with the usual women, drugs and alcohol issues Entwistle was a compulsive shopper who owned a fleet of cars even though he didn't know how to drive. Certainly worth a read for fans of the band as it does a really good job of detailing the raging dysfunction of The Who both on and off stage.

Draft saved Draft deleted