1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I picked this up at the local library's used book sale a year or two ago, and didn't discover until today that I had gotten an edition that had been signed by the author. And then a few people I know were mentioned in the book as well, which was cool.

Blind Lemon Jefferson was a bluesman who was only 36 when he died. He had a short recording career, but influenced many early blues musicians, including Robert Johnson. He often traveled throughout Texas and played with Lead Belly, another historic bluesman. This was a quick, enjoyable read. The book is only about 100 pages, including index and end notes.

Joe Bob says listen to some Blind Lemon and check this out.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I just read "Our Last Season: A Writer, A Fan, A Friendship" by Harvey Araton.

I have always liked Araton's writing and the book didn't dissapoint me. It's a memoir woven around a woman who had Knicks season tickets for years behind the team's bench and whom he got to know when he was on the beat. She became sort of an older, wise mentor / life coach for him as their friendship grew beyond basketball.

I liked it for a number of reasons. First, I really like his writing (think I said that). He's a good storyteller. Second, there was an understated poigancy in the anecdotes about this woman and his relationship with her. And third, there was some behind the scenes stuff about the workings (and dysfunction) at the Garden, and around the Knicks in the 80s, 90s, 2000s, which is something I experienced first hand, except not from a beat writer's perspective.

I'd recommend this one.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    Flip Wilson likes this.
  3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Peter Frampton's new memoir Do You Feel Like I Do? is kind of like his career: some good stuff, some mildly interesting stuff and a whole lotta meh.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

For once, you SAVE me money. I had that book in my cart.

Huggy likes this.
  5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Your mileage may vary, Moddy, but aside from talking about his days in Humble Pie (terrific band) and the insanity that was Frampton Comes Alive. there ain't a whole lotta there there.

6. Flip Wilson

[​IMG]

This book reminded me of Gay Talese's piece Frank Sinatra Has a Cold. The author had known Burnett for years and had interviewed him for other projects, but T Bone didn't take part in the production of this book. So Sachs talked to a bunch of folks around Burnett and quoted from many other interviews Burnet had given. I'm not sure if it would have been better with Burnett's participation or not, but I enjoyed this.

Joe Bob says check it out.

garrow likes this.
  7. Flip Wilson

[​IMG]

A short (really short) novel based around the lives of three academics who study languages, but the one most featured has written a scholarly tome titled Portuguese Irregular Verbs. He's not a particularly likeable fellow, kinda snooty, as all three of them are, but I felt bad for him when life seemed to be going well for him, until it didn't.

Joe Bob says check it out for a quick read.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

"The Big Picture" by Ben Fritz - Overall, a good but not great read. Its primary source materials come from author interviews and the Sony hack, and at least he's upfront about the ethical ick of that with a pretty long introduction. He clearly plumbed the leaks for details that are really interesting - Will Smith wanted an After Earth multiverse with a social media app and accessory products like cologne and perfume; Breaking Bad actually made Sony $400M when everything was said and done, making it the second most valuable property behind the first Spider-Man movie during Amy Pascal's run; old Adam Sandler movies would be in the Top 10 of countries where they hadn't even been released originally by Netflix metrics. And, there is some good economic stuff about why mid-tier movies are pretty much dead. (Short version: Yes, there are some occasional successes, like a Manchester by the Sea making $50M+ profit for Amazon. But the "hit" rate isn't great, and for every one of those, there are a bunch of Alohas, which lost $50M+, and a bunch of good or even great movies that don't have a profit potential of a blockbuster franchise movie with merchandise.)

The thing is, even with a new epilogue that adds about 10 pages and tells you where some of the players ended up - the derided in the hacks Pascal, for example, got some redemption by producing The Post and Greta Gerwig's Little Women - the whole book is about 250 pages. There are individual chapters on things like Netflix's dominance, Disney's success and so on, but the only thing really gone into in-depth is Sony Pictures, which again is because of the access he had via the hack. As a result, it's a mild recommendation from me, because of the interesting stories, but it's not at the level of a William Goldman "insider" book of anything like that.

9. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Diverting this thread to chick lit:

I give high praise to "One to Watch." It's a parody of "The Bachelorette," which I've never watched... and after reading this novel, I'm even less likely to start.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I've always enjoyed her stories. Initially I was disappointed because I was in a "thriller" mindset. Instead, its more of a novel about the different views you get about the protagonist. Some of the story is especially poignant. Whereas I was initially disappointed, after marinating for a couple of days, I really enjoyed the journey.

11. Flip Wilson

[​IMG]

Bob "Daddy-O" Wade did, indeed, make big-ass art. He created the iguana that was on top of a Texas-themed nightclub in New York City; the six frogs that were atop a club in Dallas (three of them were eventually on the roof of Carl's Corner truckstop in Carl's Corner, Texas); and a trailer depicting Texas life that was shipped to a show in Paris. He was a character, and I wish I would have learned about him when I could have afforded some of his art.

Joe Bob says definitely check this one out.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed this one too.

Draft saved Draft deleted