1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Read it over the weekend - it wasn't quite what I expected but was very good. More of him in there than I expected but it ended up being a good thing.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Quirky guy for sure but I agree, it worked overall.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The U of Nebraska Press has been a great source for historical baseball books. I finally read "Glory of Their Times" over the weekend. I can't believe I waited so long, it's been out since 1966 or so. Now I'm readying "We Played the Game," an oral history by players from 1947-64. I swear I'm more familiar with those players than I am with today's.

playthrough and misterbc like this.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Loved it. Read it in a day as soon as I got my hands on it.

garrow, misterbc and playthrough like this.
  5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The 40th anniversary of the murder of John Lennon has brought The Search for John Lennon: The Life, Loves and Death of a Rock Star by Lesley-Ann Jones (who wrote a good Freddie Mercury bio a few years ago).

Obviously there isn't a whole lot of new material to bring to Lennon's life (his music is not the main focus here) so Jones looks at his relationships with women (his mother, his Aunt Mimi, first wife Cynthia, Yoko Ono, May Pang), men (his father, McCartney, Brian Epstein, Stuart Sutcliffe) and children (his son Julian, Yoko's daughter Kyoko) and how his childhood shaped him into the person he became. Many of the "new" interviews are with people who have told their story many times (Cynthia Lennon, May Pang, Klaus Voorman, Astrid Kirchherr) but there is some good stuff, particularly the look at his self-proclaimed "house husband" years and the interview with guitarist Earl Slick, who played on Double Fantasy and talked about Lennon's desire to have him in his band for a planned tour in 1981. There is also some interesting speculation on what projects Lennon might have been involved with had he lived.

As far as Lennon bios go this isn't as good as Phillip Norman's The Life or as bad as Albert Goldman's infamous The Lives of John Lennon, it falls somewhere in the middle. Worth a look for the curious.

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Really enjoyed this one. Thoroughly-researched, well-written life story of the Texas Ranger officer who led the killing of Bonnie and Clyde, though that episode takes up just a couple of short chapters late in the book. Being a lawman was all he ever did, and he wasn't perfect, which the author points out, but he (usually) tried to do the right thing. I'm glad I read this.

Joe Bob says check it out.

7. Flip Wilson

[​IMG]

I found this in the clearance section of Half Price Books yesterday, so I invested $2. It's a collection of cartoon that were rejected by the New Yorker, and short bio sections on each cartoonist. Some made me really laugh out loud, some were duds (thus, they were rejected) and, like some actual New Yorker cartoons, I didn't get. Still, a good, quick read.

Joe Bob says check it out and laugh a little.

misterbc likes this.
  8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Book-related aside - If you're looking to just unload some books, and your local library isn't taking donations (mine doesn't a lot of the year), I use Paperback Swap. You still have to pay for shipping and a buck or two service fee, but basically, you can post all of your books, and people can request them. Each time they do, you get 1 credit. You can then use credits to request other books, or transfer them to their similar sites in their portfolio that do DVD Swaps and CD Swaps. There is also that feeling that, unlike when you dump a bunch of stuff at the library or Goodwill, that if someone requests a book from you, they're actually going to read it or want it.

britwrit, garrow and Flip Wilson like this.
  9. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Just finished The Body by Bill Bryson. It is a fun read - - as are all of Bryson's books - - and it is informative about the workings of the human body. Folks with medical training would probably call this a lightweight description of anatomy and physiology but for most people it will be instructive.

Easily readable over a long weekend. Highly recommended.

10. Flip Wilson

[​IMG]

This book talks about the people behind the people, those who never got their proper due for helping those who were in the public eye. Many of the famous folks I knew: Lincoln, Andy Warhol, Alfred Hitchcock...many more. Others, I had never heard of of. Each sidekick is given two pages, one of copy and one for an illustration, each done by a different artist. I'm glad I read this one.

Joe Bob says totes check this out.

11. Flip Wilson

[​IMG]

The cover image is a bit misleading. The title is Nine Inches, but it's got nothing to do with what is in the dude's pants, as implied by the photo.

Anyway....it was a collection of short stories that made for a good afternoon of sitting on the porch, and then on the couch when it got too cold outside. I enjoyed it.

Joe Bob says check it out, especially if you can find it on sale, which I'm about 100 percent sure that I did.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Tom Perrotta is very good

Flip Wilson likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted