1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Don't post most of the books I read on here, but just finished one called "On the Run in Nazi Berlin," by Bert Lewyn that is one of the best books I have read in a long time.

It's his own story, he was 19, Jewish. ... and he survived underground in Berlin until the end of the war, with one unbelievable turn of events to the next. It's really sad, but hopeful at the same time. It's not the best writing ever, but the narrative moves it along and it gets the job done. The story is what makes it. Hollywood couldn't make up a story that seems any more unreal than his. I highly recommend it, and when you are done, read the appendices because there is even a small surprise in there about his memories and how the book came into being.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

"In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the U.S.S. Jeannnette" was a great read. The 2014 book by Hampton Sides reads like it must be historical fiction, but it's an all-too-real-life story of a shipwreck and the attempt to survive by a crew of 33 men who tried but failed to find/reach the North Pole from 1879-1881.

Only 13 of the sailors survived a 1,500+-mile mostly-on-foot trek over Arctic ice and through freezing seas to Siberia, the closest thing to civilization that they could possibly have reached.

Dog8Cats and Liut like this.
  3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

So over COVID, I’ve been reading a lot more, and my starting point is “seriously good writing” off of NPRs yearly book list. Holy shit do they know what they are doing.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Panic at the Pump by historian Meg Jacobs about the oil shocks of the 1970s. Pretty unsparing look at the times. Fellow historian Julian Zelizer is her husband.

Liut likes this.
  5. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

If you're a fan of Barbara Ehrenreich, she has a new essay collection out: "Had I Known." While "Nickled and Dimed" lives on my shelf, some of these seemed too self-righteous. She knows she's privileged, and she actively puts that aside -- vocally and often -- in the pieces. It's not 2001 anymore.

I Should Coco and sgreenwell like this.
  6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Any, in particular, that you liked?

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The Wall

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I will admit to being a bit disappointed that Don Winslow's new book, Broken, wasn't a novel but rather six short novels but once I opened it I was hooked. Incredible stories and characters and one of the novels,. The San Diego Zoo, is the best Carl Hiaasen story Hiaasen never wrote.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I have become a big Winslow fan the last couple years. Read all the Cartel trilogy and his one about the NYPD. Was a bit hesitant like you on Broken, but wound up loving it like you. He very quickly creates indelible characters.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He's really, REALLY good. I have to move that book up my list.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

In need of a deep, deep dive into another world, I've been going through King's Dark Tower series again. The last four novels drag way more than the first three, but I've enjoyed being back in Mid-World and Gilead again.

12. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

The Wheel of Time. Fourteen books, but the series is completed.

Draft saved Draft deleted