1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

That is what makes scam/bubbles so fascinating, the gullibility of supposed smart informed people. There are ten of thousands of examples in the investment industry alone. What most people don’t know or understand is that the stock market and the ancillary industries that rely and benefit from it are just part of the biggest poker game in the world. Years ago the game was to out think the other guy. Now it’s all about bots and shorting on downticks and throwing so much money at a particular position that you can’t help but win. Too bad how things have changed as at one point the average investor actually had a chance but using hi intuition and smarts. Now that doesn’t matter.
    Supposed smart people don’t necessarily mean they are money wise.

Tamon Honda likes this.
  2. Tamon Honda

Tamon Honda New Member

As I remember, this took place around when venture capitalists were looking for the next big thing. Unlike tech startups that only established marketplaces (Mr. Buyer, meet Ms. Seller, and thanks for my cut for setting up the handshake), Theranos looked more substantial: it had an actual product that would fill the need of a potentially explosive market.

As you mentioned, Theranos systematically lied about results. I suspect many investors merely went through the due diligence motions, since the company and Holmes were much hyped and became the new Wall Street darling.

Frankly I'm more interested in the herd mentality angle. I know it's an old -- and depressing -- storyline, but it happens spectacularly at least once a decade.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I know I'm late to the party on sj.com in finally reading "The Elephant in the Room" by Tommy Tomlinson, but it lives up to all the praise. Just superb.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Literally changed my life. Something he said struck such a spark with me that it made me rethink a number of things. Plus I'm down 28 pounds since I read it.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Finished the new Stephen King book, "The Institute". Not a critic, can't pull it apart to explain why but I loved it. Classic King.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I read it's his best work yet. Can you confirm? I liked The Stand.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'm curious what he said/wrote, in particular, that was life-changing for you, if you're willing to say or discuss it?

Great work with the weight loss. I've been trying to lose a few pounds again lately. Dropped 10 pounds pretty easily, but I haven't been as active or focused on gym work as I have been in the past, and I've struggled at an apparent plateau the past three weeks or so.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I don't think I'd go that far - I'd put "The Shining" and "The Stand" at the top of my list but it certainly feels like 'classic King'.

OscarMadison and Severian like this.
  9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

He talked about the fear of being an adult which struck a huge chord with me. I've learned a lot about myself over my time in a 12-step fellowship but this really zeroed in on the fear I live with. Now when making decisions I often ask myself "What would a grown up do?".

As to the weight loss, I've lost large amounts of weight (up to 90 lbs) several times but it always creeps back. His book has refocused me on trying to change the way I live rather than dropping pounds. I invested in a gym membership and some time with a personal trainer to get started. I am trying to make losing weight a byproduct of trying to get healthy rather than a goal in itself. We'll see ...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    OscarMadison and Liut like this.
  10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Currently reading "One Ring Circus: Dispatches From the World of Boxing" thanks to someone on here mentioning it in another thread. Really enjoying it and am glad for the tip.

11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Good luck, @HC. I'm not sure what clicks when it comes to losing it and keeping it off, but something will. It's hard to say why when it happens. Maybe priorities and perspective shifts just enough. I always feel vaguely guilty when I can't hand someone the silver bullet they need.

In book news... I tried. I really tried to read "David Copperfield." Nope. Nopenopenopenope. It's going out with the next UBS junket. Am rereading Michael Palin's travel books. "Pole to Pole" is particularly good. He's complained about being seen as "the nice Python," but the voice that comes across can't be anything else.

HC likes this.
  12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Just finished the new Malcolm Gladwell "Talking to Strangers" and loved it.

Draft saved Draft deleted