1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Did my annual crime fiction binge, caught up on some Crais and Robert Parker stuff. I know it's blasphemy, but Ace Atkins puts more effort and writes a more enjoyable Spenser novel than Parker did. There are nods to previous cases and past clients pop in here and there. He's also done a nice job of moving the characters along, without aging them out. Spenser is in the "present" but he's still in his 40s, and no longer fought Jersey Joe Walcott, just "a fighter who was a big deal at one point."

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Moddy and @PCLoadLetter did a better job on Spenser here years ago than Parker ever did

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I put my feet up on my desk and watched the rain fall outside. The coffee was hot, the donut sweet. I could do this all day. I thought about Susan and the unspeakable things I'd do to her this evening. I thought about Pearl, sitting there watching. I thought about a lot of other things, too.

Then she walked in and I stopped thinking about anything else.

There's Chapter 1 - and I did just read the latest Atkins effort. He's doing a pretty good job with the series but we'd work cheaper here.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Robert Hilburn's new Paul Simon book covers all the same ground as the one Peter Ames Carlin brought out last year except Simon cooperated with Hilburn. To me if you read the Carlin book you have pretty much read this one too. Hilburn's Johnny Cash bio was much better.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Classic rock fans are directed to Twilight of the Gods, A Journey to the End of Classic Rock, by Steven Hyden in which the author covers such topics as dad rock, "Turn the Page", Prince, Disco Demolition Night, Bowie, Black Sabbath, Phish and REO Speedwagon among many others. Highly recommended.

CD Boogie and Flip Wilson like this.
  6. Moderator1

You're killing me - I need to stop checking this thread when I see you've made the last post!!

Huggy and Flip Wilson like this.
  7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Damn, I hoped you'd be too busy enjoying the Caps run to the Stanley Cup to see this and get pissed!

8. Moderator1

I need something besides work and my walks to kill time between games

Huggy likes this.
  9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A must-read. Hyden's a strong writer and just about everything I listen to could be called "dad rock."

Huggy likes this.
  10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Very entertaining stuff, it will strike a huge chord with anyone of a certain vintage who grew up when what we know as classic rock was what was new. The book also reminded me of how rock radio was such a huge part of our lives in those pre-MTV days

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Just finished “Sticky Fingers,” the bio of Jann Wenner. Read like 300 pages last weekend alone. Massively entertaining.

Huggy likes this.
  12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

It is a great book, not just as a bio of Wenner and a history of the magazine (and I have been a subscriber since 1978) but of rock and roll, pop culture, celebrity and journalism over the past 50 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted