1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. dennismoore

dennismoore Guest

Okay, Ace. I'll take your word and hang on, then. I know more about this damn Shire than I ever wanted to, and about Hobbit architecture and pipe-weed -- in three varieties! -- and all the faux geneaology of Hobbits and elves and . . . .

I liked The Hobbit, and I figure I owe it to my cultural literacy to give LOTR a chance, but damn. Did anyone ever dare edit Tolkein?

2. greedo

greedo Guest

Smasher, you attacked me, bitch.

And forget the dump in the middle of the room. I'll shit down your throat if you don't step off.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I love Hiassen's books. In an earlier incarnation of this thread some months back somebody mentioned Tim Dorsey's novels, which are also Florida-based. They are almost rewrites of Hiassen's books but they are damn funny too.

Someone in that thread also mentioned Ace Atkins. I read Dark End Of The Street and can recommend that to those who like the mystery/thriller genre.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

No, asswipe, you're the one who decided to take it off-topic and tried to make it personal. Read the thread.

Then issue some more ridiculous threats.

5. jzenor

jzenor Guest

Somebody above mentioned Cormac McCarthy's "The Crossing." That trilogy was one of my favorites, along with Lord of the Rings.

I just finished "Ambassador's Son" by Homer Hickam (real fun read) and "East of Eden" (hard to sum up my opinion in a few words but here goes: A little wordy).

6. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

i haven't read it. It's on my list of books to read. But I've heard everybody I talked to say it's one his best books. Tell me what you think btr.

7. greedo

greedo Guest

Easy, man. I'm just kidding.

But if you want to fight, that's cool with me. Just let me know first.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Fuerte,

I would go with Grapes of Wrath first, if you haven't had the pleasure already ... East of Eden is a bit dense.

9. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Agree that the trilogy is great. But if you are going to read just ONE C.M. book, "The Crossing" is it. Heck, if you are going to read just one WESTERN....

LOTR is excellent. If the minutiae bores you, maybe it isn't for you... There's not a boring page in "The Two Towers," in my opinion.

10. Varla

Varla Member

I love these threads! Thanks to SportsJournalists.com I've found a number of great books.

If there was one must read though, it would have to be: "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien. It's probably the best book I've ever read.

Unlike Kokane, I thought Jarhead was good. I read it before Things They Carried and it was interesting to see two war narratives at opposite ends of the spectrum (Vietnam vs. Gulf War).

Another interesting read was "On Killing" by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman... it's basically the psychology of how soldiers are taught to kill. It also touches on how violence in the media (esp. video games) desensitizes children to killing, in the same manner the military does with soldiers.

Oh yeah, and pick up the Motley Crue book: “The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band” ;D

11. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Have you read "Dispatches?"

Thought that was good. "...Things They Carried" is still the best Vietnam literature out there.

Liberals should read "Politics" by Henrik Hertzberg. Up there with Lapham as the smartest liberal op-ed'er on the beat.

12. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted