1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I read 133 books in 2017. Not one of them could be considered as serious or thoughtful. It was a delightful year of mysteries and thrillers!

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I read probably 50-60 samples of books. Finished zero. That's what happens when you can only read late at night on your phone and you're cheap.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Do kid’s books count?

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah, if that's the case, I've read plenty of books this year!

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wow, you win this thread?

6. SpeedTchr

Greatest thing I found this year was that I could check out books for my Kindle app from my public library. Saved hundreds of dollars.

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I will have to see if there's an iPhone equivalent. Thanks.

8. SpeedTchr

Yep, just download the Kindle app on your phone and then sign up with your local library (assuming you're not the Unabomber).

QYFW likes this.
  9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

There is - I think there's a limit of 10 books at once but that's no big thing. "Check one out," read it, "return" it and go onto the next.

Logged on one day to check out a book. Told me my "library" was full and I had to return something. The former still has access to the account and she'd gone on and checked out 10. I told her one at a time.

I love actual books but I'm running out of room and the money is a thing. I did buy a simple Kindle because when I read on my phone, I'll get a text and get distracted or hear the email "ding" and then I'm off to email. Plus, the Kindle is perfect for commute reading.

QYFW likes this.
  10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Insider baseball, but....

I read Killers and Public Enemies within weeks of each other this summer. A line stood out in Public Enemies.

"In Hoover's first six years his men spearheaded a corruption investigation at the federal prison in Atlanta and a probe of murders and oil-rights thievery on Indian lands in Oklahoma. They were minor cases, all run by the Cowboys."

Obviously, having read Killers first, this line really stood out! I love all of Burroughs's work, including Enemies. But after reading Killers that line sounded absurd. I wondered if maybe Grann seized on that line at all too. Or maybe he got some writerly/reporterly pleasure out of showing that the story was anything but minor. To me, I wasn't thinking of it so much as a shot at Burroughs but it showed that even when you think a story has been told, someone can come along and show something that hasn't been revealed. Because the reporting in Enemies is amazing. But to then call the Killers case "minor." Oof. I actually emailed Grann to see what he thought of it or if it was a line he knew about while working on Killers. Didn't get a reply though. Would still love to hear his thoughts.

Chabon: think I've told this before but at a reading once (he was reading from then-in-progress Telegraph Avenue) I had the chance to ask him about similes and metaphors. At the same reading, I then had to flee from my near-the-front seat as a horrific, people-are-asking-if-you're-ok coughing attack overtook me.

We've talked about The Strand here a lot. The owner died. Sounds like a real legend.

Fred Bass, Who Made the Strand Bookstore a Mecca, Dies at 89

I went this weekend with a 100 dollar gift card. Came back with one really sore back -- it's a place where you better expect to stand, and for a long time if you're looking for great deals to make the most out of your money -- and these 11 books. A good haul and was happy with how many I got for 100. Should be able to make a good dent in them during upcoming and annual monthlong Cape Town trip.

1515007381086.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's awesome.

When I wrote my first of two books - it probably sold about 1 millionth as many copies as Grann's, but I did win free Bears tickets at my own book-signing - it was after I had stumbled across a line buried in a biography that sounded fascinating. Holy shit, I thought. I want to read that book! But no one had written it. So I did.

I imagine this is how a lot of book ideas germinate. Truman Capote stumbled across the Clutter case in a New York Times brief, I believe.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Small Town Guy likes this.
  12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I don't know why Bringing The Heat isn't cited more often in discussions of Great Sports Books. It's pretty fucking metal.

Draft saved Draft deleted