1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Xsportschick

Xsportschick Member

Don't know that this book is famous but economist John Manard Keynes and Russian ballerina Lydia Lopokova were, in their time:

Songbird likes this.
  2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Don't let @The Big Ragu or @doctorquant know you're recommending a book about a subversive like Keynes! Spoiler alert: She speaks glowingly of "A Treatise on Monetary Reform'' and ''Inflation as a Method of Taxation.''

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I haven't read that book, but I have read several books that got into Keynes as a person and his relationship with her. There is something weird and fascinating about him as a person, but the details I have come across have never been definitive. I may try to find a copy of that book. I had no idea it existed.

What I do know: When he first saw Lydia performing, things I have read made it sound like he stalked her. Showing up at performance after performance. She was married at the time. The two of them were pretty famous in their time, each in their own right. None of his stuck up Bloomsbury Group friends liked her, and they all discouraged him from marrying her. Even after he did marry her, they were outright hostile toward her. This may have been the biggest group of snobs who ever lived. They thought she was a gold digger. And in fact, Keynes did make her very wealthy. ... he was a menace as a wannabe central planner, but he was a hell of a currency trader. And he took what she had earned dancing and turned it into a small fortune.

There is the question of Keynes' sexuality always, too. The things I have read have put him all over the place. Gay, then bisexual, then focused on just women. ... and promiscuous, even after he was married. But I have never read anything that got into details about him that way. The thing that caught my attention about the relationship with Lydia in one book -- it may have been a small passage in Liaquat Ahamed's book, "The Lords of Finance: The Bankers Who Broke the World," but I am not sure -- is how devoted he remained to her, even though all of his friends despised her. It read like there was a deep emotional connection between the two and he was really devoted to her.

Hermes and cranberry like this.
  4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Finished this yesterday. The author is, among other things, TV critic for NPR's Fresh Air, so I've liked his stuff for a long time. He puts forth that we're in the platinum age of TV, which follows the golden age of TV. Lots of good insight and interviews. He shows lots of love to The Sopranos, which I appreciate. But even though he's writing about recent and current TV, he ties it in with stuff from the early days. I really enjoyed this. Joe Bob says check it out.

[​IMG]

Liut likes this.
  5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Just picked up The Accidental Life by Terry McDonell. This guy has lived some life as an editor. Look forward to reading it.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A book from 2011: "Smoking Typewriters" by John McMillian. It's a good look at the rise of the 1960s underground press and how it morphed into the "alternative" weeklies of the 1970s and beyond.

My favorite storyline in this book — as someone born in 1972 — is how the 1960s left wingers (and the newspapers they printed) went from a relatively unified "we have to change this corrupt system" message to literally fighting each other as they splintered off into smaller groups of bitter, frustrated and increasingly violent radicals.

Meanwhile, the alternative press morphed into lifestyle-oriented weeklies for the Yuppie crowd, and contributed to today's demise of daily newspapers by siphoning off young people before the internet took them away for good.

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Took me just a few days to finish this. It wasn't what I was expecting it to be. According to what I read on the cover, I just figured it was about a dad with unrealistic expectations of his kid, something that I'm probably guilty of at times (though I try not to be). Instead, Tyler, the author's son, has a mild form of Asperger's, and part of the story is about the parents accepting the diagnosis and how they dealt with it, as much as it is about the kid and how he handles it.

Fournier's description of his son is a spot-on description of the kid of our best friends, but they've never had the boy test for Asperger's. I'm trying to figure out how to suggest they read this without offending them.

Anywho....I enjoyed it. Joe Bob says check it out.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Really fun read.

Currently reading two other editor memoirs: Avid Reader by legendary book editor, former New Yorker editor, Robert Gottlieb, and Another Life by Michael Korda. The two were colleagues as youngsters so it's interesting reading their different memories over the same event.

9. CD Boogie

Did you happen to read Hothouse, about the history of FSG, by Boris Kachka, the books guy at NYMag? That's a good read. Also enjoyed Editor of Genius about Maxwell Perkins, though the movie was unfortunately subpar.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yeah Hothouse is really good read too. And same with Editor of Genius; great book, tried watching the movie few months ago and fell asleep.

I've mentioned this before but I'm a sucker for any behind the scenes look, or histories of anything involving books, movies, newspapers, magazines, etc. I think every trip to The Strand, I come back with two or three more of them.

11. CD Boogie

ya know, I been working in NYC for four years and have never made it down to The Strand, though it's been on my radar. Hope to go before I quit my job in NYC in a week and a half.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Worth a trip. I try to get there every month or so

CD Boogie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted