1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Ace Atkins and he's pretty much become Parker with them. At least Spenser - I think other authors picked up Parker's other recurring characters.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And you're doing that by reading a bunch of books by people who converted from Islam to Christianity?

Interesting approach.

HC likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

I've got a bunch of book irons in the fire right now, but most ambitiously, I picked up "Lonesome Dove" from the used bookstore for $1.95. 940-plus epic pages, with tiny print. Not sure it's a great summer project, though, seeing that we're usually outside until at least 9 each night these days.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I LOVED that book. Find the time for it.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Agreed, haven't read it in years but it is a great book.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I read Nic Pizzolatto's novel Galveston in a couple of days. Short, brawny book that I liked well enough, but aside from that, it's interesting to see how much of True Detective springs from it. The main character carves his beer cans into people, for instance.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

LOVED that series and have recommended it to others. Blue Duck is a bad man

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It is, actually.

Like I said, I'd recommend any or all of them, highly. Most devout current Muslims would never write a book -- they do not even take photos -- so all these people who have converted and lost their families (three of them were close to being killed, by their families!, for their "sin" of apostasy) -- do not even have pictures of siblings or others they miss since they have left the fold.

Nonetheless, I've now become more informed, knowledgeable and understanding of Islam than most of the supposedly more open-minded people on this board will ever be. They're all really good, very readable books. So read them, instead of coming on here just to mock somebody's "approach."

10. Dick Whitman

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

You forgot Terrorism for Dummies.

CD Boogie likes this.
  12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Dude keep that shit on the politics thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted