1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

On the heels of "Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus," I've been continuing along a path I hope will lead to further education and enlightenment, or certainly, less ignorance, at least, regarding Islam. Toward that end, I'm in the midst of "No God But One: Allah or Jesus?" and I've completed the books, "Hiding In The Light: Why I Risked Everything to Leave Islam and Follow Jesus," as well as "The Imam's Daughter: My Desperate Flight to Freedom," "I Am Nujood: Age 10 and Divorced", and "Shamed".

It has been an educational, interesting and eye-opening three months or so, to say the least. I'm glad to have been learning and realizing much more about Islam lately than I ever knew before. But I have to say, my recent immersion has done nothing to make me think any differently about the religion than I ever have.

I posted once that I thought the world would be better off without Islam, and based on what I've read and learned, that feeling has only been strengthened. I think I can be more objective about it, and thus, more tolerant and less outwardly condemning. But the sentiment remains, and nothing I've read recently has shaken it.

To answer one of service_gamer's recent questions in another thread, asking "Is there something inherently violent in or about Islam?", I would have to say that, yes, there is. There are so many problems, issues and moral contradictions in Islam and the Quran that it's hard to believe so many people in this world could possibly seek Allah by following Muhammad. But I also can see better, now, how it could happen, especially given some of the idiosyncrasies of Islam.

I would recommend any or all of these books for anyone seeking to learn more about a religion and a faith that is so much in the forefront of world news, influence and impact right now.

CD Boogie, SpeedTchr and QYFW like this.
  2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

How was Qureshi's book? He is in very bad health.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

World would be better without religion, period.

4. WriteThinking

It was excellent. See my previous post regarding his book that I posted on this thread. But, to paraphrase, "Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus: A Devout Muslim Encounters Christianity" has to be one of the best, most relatable, and yet, even-handed and informative books on the subject. Very personal and poignant, and yet, it attempts to be, and succeeds at being, factual, well-researched and intellectual -- in short, exactly my impression of Qureshi himself. I would love to meet him and talk Islam and Christianity.

He actually also wrote the book I'm reading now, "No God But One: Allah or Jesus?"

It is kind of a follow-up and an addendum to "Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus." Qureshi wrote that he considers "Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus" to be the heart -- his heart -- behind his journey from Islam to Christianity, and he considers "No God But One: Allah or Jesus" to be the mind, the intellectual reasons and aspects of the arguments behind his transition, and that is indeed the focus.

"No God But One" is, again, well researched and backed up with footnotes galore and plenty of references to the Quran and lots of translation and clarification. You need to slog through it a little bit, just because it is so careful and measured. But it is, again, very informative and educational for anyone new to Islam or just wanting to know more about it.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    SpeedTchr likes this.
  5. SpeedTchr

I'm usually pretty forgiving of cheap fiction I get on the Kindle. I usually finish any book I start.

Not this time. I couldn't get past "Jacob Javit's Center" smack dab in the middle of a sentence.

My recommendation is you pass on the Jana Baker series.

6. WriteThinking

I just finished "Answering Jihad: A Better Way Forward," the third book, and maybe the best one yet, that I've read recently by Nabeel Qureshi.

It's a quick, easy read that I'd recommend to, well, to everyone here. Seriously. Its title is accurate as the book is the author's answers to 18 commonly asked questions regarding Islam, the Quran and jihad and their relations with and to Christianity -- in short, it clearly answers most of the exact questions and issues we all have asked, discussed, wondered and argued about on various threads on this site.

Qureshi is a former Muslim who converted to Christianity, but he works hard to be even-handed and explanatory and as respectful as possible, all without allowing bias into the writing until the end of the book, when he encourages friendship, dialogue and fellowship with Muslims to a hopefully compassionate end. This is despite a preponderance of clear evidence, which he presents, that the principles of Islam, the teachings and traditions of the Quran, and the words and actions of Muhammad are inherently and foundationally violent, and that Islam is anything but a "religion of peace."

Indeed, the research and evidence presented in all of his books actually makes the more moderate and peaceful but less-informed and more re-imagined approach to the religion more radical than the originally intended form espoused by those referred to lately as "radical Islamic terrorists."

This book was written and published in 2016 in seemingly record time -- a span of three weeks -- in the wake of the San Bernardino terror attack and was done specifically in response to that and other recent terrorist acts in Libya, London and Paris. This makes the references and context very recent and timely.

It's an important, and, in some ways, a stunning book in its simple, yet powerful message of hard truths served up with compassion and hope that things can and will get better. Qureshi suggests that will probably only happen, however, with the spread of Christ-like love and care for our Muslim neighbors and those who reach the same three-pronged fork in the road that he did -- where, because of the cognitive dissonance that can arise upon any real study of Islam -- they find themselves needing to make a choice between one of three states: apostasy, apathy or radicalization. Quereshi, obviously, chose apostasy, and the costs to him and his family were high.

The fact that the author wrote this book while in the midst of his current fight against advanced stomach cancer makes its completion all the more impressive, and poignant. It clearly is Qureshi's mission to live his Christian faith by trying to raise awareness and understanding of Muslims while still speaking truth to Islam.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    SpeedTchr likes this.
  7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

An interesting book will be released next week, on June 20: The One Device: the Secret History of the iPhone by Brian Merchant

A little on the geeky side, perhaps, but also chock full of the inner workings of Apple, with Steve Jobs cracking the whip on a product that, 10 years after its introduction, dominates our society.

Here's an excerpt to whet our appetite: The secret origin story of the iPhone

8. SpeedTchr

The iPhone hardly dominates our society. Android has an overwhelming lead in market share.

Probably an interesting book, though!

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Good point, although I was referring more to the "computer in your hand" smart phone than the iPhone specifically.

My perspective is skewed somewhat because I'm married to an Apple-or-nothing person, and she loves her iPhone6.

10. SpeedTchr

Understand completely. Better get her that 7+ if you wanna keep her :)

I Should Coco likes this.
  11. Mark Howe

Mark Howe New Member

I read Rick Ankiel's biography (got a pre-release copy) and it was an interesting read in that he wasn't the first to go through what he did. I'd recommend the book to anyone who covers baseball (or just enjoys the game.)

12. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I'm reading the Lincoln Lawyer series. Low brow, I know, but whatevs. They're fun, easy reads, in the vein of Robert B. Parker books (or whoever contiues his characters' novels since he's dead).

Draft saved Draft deleted