1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Read that one, not bad as far as rock books go, light years ahead of Steven Tyler's mess of a book.

I Should Coco likes this.
  2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Voluntarily reading a fiction book for the first time in about 30 years, Donald Ray Pollock's "The Heavenly Table." Enjoying it so far, and the author's story is a bonus.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Reading "Vast Right Wing Conspiracy," Jeffrey Toobin's book about the Lewinsky scandal. It's been sitting on the shelf forever, but my interest is rekindled for obvious reasons. I can devour just about anything about the '90s, honestly.

4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I may see if my local library has a copy. Nobody came out of the other side of that mess looking particularly good, but I ended up having more sympathy for Monica Lewinsky than any of the other players.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Kenneth Starr went on to greater things right? (Baylor).

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Bought the book Whistlestop by John Dickerson. I love the podcast and so far the book is great.

7. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Remember, Belle wears glasses at the start of Disney's "Beauty and the Beast." #nerdy

[​IMG]

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Just finished reading Editor of Genius, the biography of maxwell Perkins, editor who discovered and helped hone Fitzgerald, Hemingway and Thomas Wolfe. Great read, really engrossing, especially if you're a big fan of these writers or literary inside baseball in general. Had been meaning to read it for years -- it won the National Book Award in 1978 -- but it was always out of the library. Finally saw it in a book store because they just released the movie version with Colin firth, Jude law, Nicole Kidman, guy pierce and Lauren linney. Film was widely panned by critics but I still want to see it after having read the book. Amazing to learn about Perkins' personal and professional influence on some of the 20th century's biggest literary figures.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I just picked this up at the Strand three weeks ago. I thought it was new until I looked at copyright but like you said, was repackaged with the movie (which I haven't seen). Only about 100 pages in, but absolutely loving it for the reasons you mentioned. Such great insight into his relationships with the writers, how he thought as an editor, etc., plus items like all his letters to the woman he had the platonic affair with.

Looking ahead, couple of books I'm really excited about: Michael Chabon has a new novel coming out in November called Moonglow. I'm forever grateful to @Double Down for first turning me onto Chabon years ago. I actually get sad when I'm done with one of his books because I don't have the chance to read his sentences anymore.

And next spring, David Grann has a book coming out called Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Back in like 2002, I interviewed Chabon in connection with a reading he was doing in my area. In one of my less proud moments as a journalist and close reader of text, I mentioned to him, "Ya know, you use the phrase 'doing his toilette' a lot. What gives? Where'd ya get that turn of phrase?" He paused and said, "You know, you're the first person who's ever mentioned that to me," and then he laughed in the way that says, "And I hope no one ever asks me that again." I interviewed him for Yiddish Policeman's Union and, yeah, didn't remind him of my earlier question.

I was halfway through Telegraph Avenue when I lost my copy. Haven't resumed it. Heard mixed reviews.

But yeah, he might write the best sentences of any writer today. Wish he wrote more frequently. I read recently he's actually been working as a songwriter. Interesting guy. Very much looking fwd to Moonglow.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

That's hilarious and awesome and actually a pretty good question! My infamous moment with him was less personal; was in a front row during a reading and had a coughing fit/choking-on-saliva attack. Had to flee to the back. Wrote a little blog about it that my wife tweeted and Ayelet saw (she must search his name) and replied to and said her husband was very glad to hear that I had lived. But at the event, I did get the chance to ask him about metaphors and similes b/c there had been discussion here about whether they're worth it if you have to spend a lot of time thinking about them. He, of course, rattles them off every sentence. And he basically said they just come to him instantly, which is crazy when you think of what he comes up with, but also totally believable with him.

Telegraph Avenue wasn't my favorite but I devoured it pretty quickly. But didn't like it nearly as much as Yiddish, Kavalier & Clay, Wonder Boys. Yiddish is my personal favorite, although I think Kavalier takes top spot for a lot of folks.

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Anyone have suggestions for good fantasy series that aren't GoT?
    Done:
    • The Black Company Series
    • The Wheel of Time series
    • The Maalzahn Book of the Fallen series
    • The Mistborn series
    • LoTR, obviously
    • Discworld series (though not all, because, as great as many are, damn that's a lot).
    Admittedly, I generally prefer series in the "good triumphs over evil" vein than the "everyone's a horrible person - with swords" vein.

Draft saved Draft deleted