1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, the book club has kind of faded. Fun while it lasted.

Here's what we are going to do for a while. I'll start and stick this thread for as long as there is interest. Got a book suggestion? Post it here.

Geek Love, one of the better books I've read, came from a suggestion on one of these threads.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You-all MUST read Tom Fenton's Bad News.

An epic indictment of the current electronic
    national-news industry, especially as regards
    foreign coverage.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . and while we're at it . . . Tom Friedman's The World
    Is Flat makes many excellent points re the
    current economic paradigm.

4. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Generation Kill by Evan Wright of Rolling Stone is outstanding.

Wright was embedded with the Marine Force Recon unit that led the U.S. invasion in Iraq. The book recounts the unit's push across the country to Baghdad and shows just how big a clusterfuck the whole operation was.

It's intense, funny, insightful and provides what I felt was an honest depiction of what was going on over there.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I read the NYTimes excerpt from Friedman's book and immediately reserved it at my local library.

BTW Moddy, this is a GREAT idea. Found out about Friday Night Lights here.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

In trying to help my main man Led, I hope to help all of us.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Probably still a way to do a Book Club--maybe quarterly, with the book chosen by poll. Take nominations, put it to a vote. At least you'll get a sense of whether people are interested in a specific title.

8. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I responded on the Random Thoughts thread, but I will say thanks here, as well.

I'm reading Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi, right now. The movie Goodfellas was based on it.

9. True_North

True_North Guest

1968 by Mark Kurlansky -- an in-depth look at the most tumultuous year of the 20th century.

10. zosopsu

zosopsu Guest

Word Freak by Stefan Fatsis. Its official title is "Word Freak: Heartbreak, Triumph, Genius, and Obsession in the World of Competitive Scrabble Players." It's pretty much exactly what it sounds like - an in-depth view of scrabble playing; it's really well written, and you don't have to be a competitive scrabble player to get into it (as that particular faction of society is a small one)

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'll second that. Interesting book because the author was also a participant.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Fab Five, by Mitch Albom. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted