1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

books on the blues

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pallister, May 10, 2009.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

I know there are at least a couple posters who are really into the blues (knee deep, as it were). Anyway, I'm looking to pick up a couple books on some of the old bluesmen. I'm especially interested in Willie Dixon and Blind Willie McTell. If anyone can offer some suggestions or point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

"Tales From The Bears Sideline"
    "Tales From The White Sox Dugout"

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Get off my thread, Jack Blades!

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

New biography of W.C. Handy is out ... http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/10/books/review/Hajdu-t.html?_r=1&ref=books

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

(You Can Still) Threadjack in America

6. Gravy Boat

Gravy Boat Member

RL's Dream by Walter Mosley

http://www.amazon.com/RLs-Dream-Walter-Mosley/dp/0393038025/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241997814&sr=8-1

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

8. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

No books to offer but just wanted to say that when Bruce sang Willie Dixon's old 7th Son song at Greensboro, it was awesome. Check it out.

Used to go hear the blues all the time up at Cory's in Cincinnati with Sweet Alice Hoskins.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Bump. Where's Dargan?

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I learned a lot from Robert Santelli's The Big Book of Blues, which has bios on almost everyone. I also liked Art Tipaldi's Children of the Blues, which profiles second-generation blues artists -- there's a photo on the cover of the late Luther Allison and his son Bernard. Luther was my favorite bluesman and I saw Bernard perform at Buddy Guy's in Chicago a few years after Luther died.

I keep meaning to buy The Language of the Blues by Debra DeSalvo, which is a glossary of blues slang. She's a Columbia J-School grad and worked on Blues Revue magazine. I've never read her book/articles writing, but she's a rock guitarist and I enjoy her playing/songwriting.

http://www.amazon.com/Language-Blues-Alcorub-Zuzu-ebook/dp/product-description/B000V354IY

11. pallister

pallister Guest

I'll have to give The Big Book a look. In search of stuff on Blind Willie McTell, I came across "Hand Me My Travelin' Shoes" by Michael Gray on Amazon. The review made it sound worthwhile. I'm gonna have to pick it up.

Draft saved Draft deleted