1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Books about journalists

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boundforboston, Dec 6, 2016.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I didn't recognize sports writing at all from what Ford described. I recognized someone who had interviewed Frank Deford about what it was like to write glossy features for SI and ran with it.

2. CD Boogie

WTF, just give away the ending!

jk

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

The things that tickled me the most about Poet were the tiny details, from the clunky Coyote newsroom computers to the inept corporate Scripps office grousing.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

So it's an NYT asshole bagging on tabloid journalists?

Dick Whitman likes this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or would Fletch have been the worst co-worker in a newsroom ever?
    Guy shows up about once a month, but has a huge and obnoxious work area. When he does show up, he causes a scene with his "look at me" attitude, dresses like a bum in the office and acts like a jerk. He writes about four stories a year and still barely makes deadline on deep, investigative pieces so you know all of the editors who have to proof and fact check his copy hate him.
    Guy just seems like an ass on a lot of levels.

6. CD Boogie

Wait, they made a book out of Fletch? Hell, yeah, get the book.

Airhead'd

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My old boss in Richmond, Howard Owen, has a mystery series featuring a reporter named Willie Black. I've read a couple and they're quite good.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Metro columnist

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If you like "You Gotta Play Hurt," you should also seek out the followup/ prequel "Fast Copy: A Novel," which follows the earlier career of Betsy Throckmorton as a small town Texas newspaper owner-editor/pioneering female sportswriter from the 1930s to the 80s. Lots of college football insider stuff during the Texas glory days of TCU and SMU in the mid-thirties.

A lot of Betsy's first-person flashback monologues to her staff are Dan Jenkins guidelines on how to write daily sports stories: "Nobody reads a garden hose."

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Main character in Resurrection Day by Brandon DuBois is a reporter. It's an alternate history in which the Cuban Missile Crisis led to WW3 and the USA is a military controlled state with censors at the papers and beholden to England/Europe for aid

11. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Fletch Won
    Fletch and the Man Who
    Fletch

Are the three of Gregory McDonald's Fletch books in which he works at a newspaper. The other seven or eight aren't.

True Crime, the Eastwood movie from '99, was a book first. Not bad.

The Rum Diary by Thompson is ok.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, for fiction/novel you should check out Thompson's 'Curse of Lono' if you haven't already read it.

Draft saved Draft deleted