1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

book publishers

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by sportsgopher, Jan 15, 2008.

1. sportsgopher

sportsgopher Member

All,

I'm guessing this has been covered at some point but I couldn't find it.

I want to write a book about a local high school's basketball season and was wondering if anyone could suggest the route I take to publish it.

I have looked into vanity publishing. It's money out of my pocket (or a backer's more likely) but selling 1,000 books (the school has more than 1,200 students and the town is about 100,000) I'll make as much as I shell out.

I know about the company Sports Publishing, but they are in a sort-of limbo as they decide on which direction to take the company in.

Any small houses that specialize in local books?

Thanks for the help.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

sportsgopher, I'm moving this to writers workshop. you'll find help there from some of our resident authors.

3. sportsgopher

sportsgopher Member

Thanks Play, sorry for the misfile.

4. In Exile

In Exile Member

Look for small houses in your area - you probably won't find a small house working nationally to do a local, content (as opposed to illustrative) heavy book. By area I mean regional - Midwest, West, Northwest, etc.

Many takeouts and books have been done on this same topic. Most are pedestrian, a few almost classic.

Tell the story you see, not what you envision or think it will, or even worse, should be.

And watch the small publishers. They'll rip you off.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted