1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book Deals, Threat or Menace

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Michael_ Gee, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

OK. But. Books don't get written overnight. If he corroborated this information at any point over the last two years, and apparently he did because it's in the book, then he did indeed sit on it for the book. At some point, he felt confident enough in his reporting that he added it to his book. And if it's actual, provable treason.... why wasn't it front page news?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A bunch of reporters have reported "actual proveable treason" dozens of times over the last 3+ years -- to some people's notions of what is treasonous, at least.

Perhaps Schmdit thought that the totality of what he was reporting, in book form, would paint a better picture of the current administration for posterity than releasing tidbits on twitter every day -- the kinds of tidbits, FWIW, we have gotten continually anyhow and that the world has become inured to?

3. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Maybe. It just seems weird to save this information for later. Which is what happened. Probably doesn't matter. The president is lawless and no one is stopping him.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Aren't most "behind-the-scenes" books little more than office gossip organized in a way to make a larger point? We know WHAT was going on, but these books are mostly "what X was thinking," "who opposed something," I don't know if it's really "news" if two people in the West Wing hate each other - or if someone missed a meeting on a crucial issue because they were being treated for an STD.

Liut likes this.
  5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

A JFK reference? :)

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The New York Times has a deal with a publisher to sell books under the The Times imprint. I would guess they use this imprint for their cookbooks and their crossword puzzles. According to Wikipedia the paper has right of first refusal for any books there reporters write.

Times Books - Wikipedia

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Every nonfiction book written by someone that's on the staff of a publication is exactly like this, unless it's simply an anthology.

Woodward still works for the Post yet has three books about every presidency with new info; Jane Mayer's books about the Kochs and secret torture programs had info that was held from The New Yorker and would have been useful being revealed earlier; Ronan Farrow's Catch and Kill same thing; NY Times' Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey's MeToo book; Stelter's new book on Fox News has stuff about their relationship with Trump he's never given to CNN; Joshua Green's book on Bannon had stuff he didn't give Bloomberg; Philip Rucker and Carol Leonnig's A Very Stable Genius had stuff they didn't give Washington Post.

And on and on and on. And that's just from the past few years; it's been going on with every major issue and every president for a long time. If every book written by someone on staff is a disservice to the public (and they might be!), I don't see why Schmidt should be singled out. I personally don't have a problem with his or any book like it, but as the spouse of a literary agent who makes money on people saving this stuff for their books...I am a bit biased.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's being published by Random House. If there is a right of first refusal, I'd guess they use that right if they can pick up something cheap, but in this case they wanted nothing to do with the kind of money Schmidt was able to wrangle elsewhere.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Thank you for saying Schmidt shouldn't be singled out. He shouldn't be! This is a longtime common practice to which I, a news consumer, object because I think it's ripping me off. I don't think it's good for the media outlets either. "What else do they know they're not telling me?" is not a thought you should want in your readers' heads.

FileNotFound likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Most places you work - you come up with any new idea, process, product on company time or with their equipment - it's theirs. So I do understand the point. If a book were a widget the company would own it. See also, why some SNL actors "hold back" some ideas from SNL (Austin Powers). They don't want to have to give Lorne Michaels a cut.

PaperDoll likes this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Schmidt’s responsibility is to uncover facts and report on breaking news. It’s like a doctor not using a new procedure he’s developed through his hospital experience on one of their patients, but doing it at his outside clinic.

Draft saved Draft deleted