1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book better than movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by joe, May 14, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Benchley had some fishing acumen. I am surprised he wrote such a book.
    The sheer angling technique used in book and movie was all fucked.
    The book also has Quint using a porpoise foetus as bait.
    That's cartoon cardboard villain-type stuff.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I don't know, there are many movies where the book is a poor relation to the movie. The Godfather, IMHO, was weak compare to the movie. I'm reading 6 Days of the Condor right now and the movie, 3 Days of the Condor, is so much better.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

Others:

-Les Mis: Aided by talented cast, scripted structure and fullness of soul.
    -Dracula: Book was critically panned, not a commercial success and only embraced later in time.
    -The Shining: Pulp hackery, like most of King, but a masterpiece when put into the hands of a skilled artist.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'd have to see it. Everything great in that book was inside the writer's head. That's hard to translate to the screen.

That crazy stream-of-thought section after she cuts off his thumb and put it in his birthday cake (spoilers!) is on the short list of my favorite pieces of writing.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Is there an Elmore Leonard or James Ellroy book that isn't better than the movie?

6. The Perfect Storm
    Book had some great detail about life on a boat, how the storms form, and its description of what its like to drown is horrifying

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Misery' was my favorite King novel, but I thought it turned into a pretty good movie.
    Not better than the book, but a good movie.

'The Hobbit' was a wonderful book that has been turned into two terrible movies with a third pending.

'The Lord of the Rings' books were much better than the movies. the movies were alright, but I don't think they're as good, in hindsight, as the acclaim they got at the time.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

No. LA Confidential was the best effort, though.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Agreed. But the book was excellent.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

Good call on The Perfect Storm.
    Although that book took a hell of a lot of liberties.
    Believe the author wound up in court for some of those.
    And the movie was quite good.

11. joe

joe Active Member

Hmm. Different tastes, I reckon. I found The Perfect Storm movie nearly unwatchable, and for my money it's the worst George Clooney performance of his career. The only redeeming quality was the rescue of the three folks by the Coast Guard; compelling stuff, that.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

I can buy Clooney as a briny swordfisherman.
    These guys are real men. I think the movie gets that right.

Draft saved Draft deleted