1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book better than movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by joe, May 14, 2014.

1. Decadent

Decadent New Member

I knew someone else who didn't like that version.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

All of them.

3. longgone

longgone Member

The Right Stuff (although the movie was pretty dang good, too).

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Original movie was quite faithful to the book, I thought.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

War Horse movie might equal the book or come very close.

I think reading the book gives you a greater character development for Topthorne and Emilie, but this was a beautiful movie.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Only major difference I can recall off the top of my head is the female scientist in the movie is a male in the book.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The Natural
    For Whom the Bell Tolls
    Great Expectations
    The Great Gatsby

8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

With the right director and screenwriter, a remake of Chrstine would be awesome today. They tried gamely but the special effects of yore didn't quite cut it. But nowadays? I'd love to see that scene of the car ripping through the house.

9. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I couldn't make it through it, either, and I loved "The Right Stuff." That book might qualify as better than the movie.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm with you on The Natural. Glenn Close, the obvious aging issues and of course the ending ruined the movie for me. Though Joe Don Baker as "The Whammer" is the goods in his portrayal of the Babe Ruth-inspired character.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Jaws is an extreme case where the movie is miles better than the source material.
    Peter Benchley's novel is not just poor, it's a huge piece of crap.
    There are a few redonkulous subplots in there (the mafioso control and the love triangle).

12. joe

joe Active Member

Benchley came out years later acknowledging that sharks, even great whites, were nowhere near the killers his book made them out to be. Almost every great white attack is a case of mistaken identity, where the shark mistakes a person for a seal or some other natural game. And that's why there are very few cases of great white's going back for a second bite on a person. Of course, one bite is usually enough to do the trick.

Draft saved Draft deleted