1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book better than movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by joe, May 14, 2014.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Amazing thing about the book is that even after I had seen the movie, that book still scared the crap out of me.

Bonfire was just about the biggest disparity between the book and the movie I can think of. Along same lines, American Psycho was a fabulous read and not so good movie

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Mary Poppins

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I read Air Force One. Nothing at all like the movie.

I can think of a ton of books that are better than the movie, ranging from 101 Dalmations and Where the Red Fern Grows to the Hunger Games and Enders Game to the Scarlett Letter and any other classic. The reverse is a lot harder, but I tend to agree with the "whichever came first" theory.

Way back when, I was angry with the "Outsiders" movie because in the book, Dallas had blonde hair. That was unforgivable to me, and that movie, far more than others, really did stick with the book otherwise. But I still liked the book far, far more than the movie.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Stay gold KJIM.

5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I could barely make it through the book version of Where the Red Fern Grows. Can't bring myself to watch a movie of that shit. (Believe I had to read it twice for school and bawled my eyes out both times, even though I was reading on the couch and cuddling with my puppy.)

I prefer most books to movie versions. I make an effort to read a book before seeing the movie version, just because I like my mental picture of it better than Hollywood makes most of of them.

An easy one for "book better than movies" is the Harry Potter series. They had to cut so much out of those movies that I usually spent at least an hour explaining to my dad (who doesn't read) all of the plot points they missed when we would go see them.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Number One, though I doubt any of you read the book or saw the movie. Movie had Charlton Heston, of all people, as the New Orleans Saints' QB.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The biggest disparity list is going to be topped by Catcher in the Rye whenever that travesty rolls out.

I've mentioned before that I rarely double up, but I can't even imagine how The Bonfire of the Vanities could be a movie.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

That is my absolute favorite book. The movie - no. I remember in the scene where they're chasing the ghost coon, it kept going from afternoon to night.

Disney's 101 Dalmations bothered me as a kid because it strayed so far from the book, too. I remember when the live action one came out and I hoped it would stick to the book, but it was based on the cartoon version

The book Old Yeller was really good, too, but it's been so long that I read it I don't remember how it compares.

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'm worried about DiCaprio having the rights to Cat's Cradle. Like Gatsby, it should not be filmed.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Flight of the Intruder
    Clear and Present Danger

11. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I hope it ends with someone beating up Caulfield and telling him to quit whining.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Heck of a pull. Saw the movie, but didn't know it was based on a book.

Draft saved Draft deleted