1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book better than movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by joe, May 14, 2014.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Not as easy, perhaps, as movies better than books, but still plenty. A partial list:

To Kill a Mockingbird (damn close)
    East of Eden
    We Were Soldiers Once ... And Young

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Forrest Gump.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Wait, what? Almost every classic novel that's been adapted would qualify.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think the thread title is backwards.

I have never read the short story that Shawshank Redemption is based, but it needs to be spectacular to top the movie.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Black Hawk Down
    Deliverance
    50 Shades of Grey

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yeah, this should be far easier. The book is better than the movie the majority of the time, at least if it was a good book.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think the LOTR movies are far, FAR better than the books (and I love the books).

But so much of the books are people walking, walking, walking, walking. Did you really need 500 pages for Frodo to get from Hobbiton to Rivendell?

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

There's a lot more rape

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Godfather I and II were way better than Puzo's book, which is a pot-boiler of massive dimensions.
    Despite many tries, nobody has succeeded in making a credible movie version of "The Great Gatsby."

10. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I too don't think it's rare for a book to be better than a movie. It's usually the general consensus that most books are superior to their movie adaptions.

Speaking of Gatsby, The Sun Also Rises comes to mind. I saw a 50's adaption once, and it didn't do the book justice. Hurts when you have a bunch of 40 year-olds playing 20 somethings.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Money Ball

12. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Bonfire of the Vanities. Still a great book and Wolfe's only novel that wasn't an unwieldy mess (though I enjoyed "Man in Full" and would have liked to have seen a film version). Movie was an atrocity.

Draft saved Draft deleted