1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boogie Down To Bogalusa, Lou.; Sports Editor Needed

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by big green wahoo, Jun 6, 2008.

1. From JJobs.

Company: The Daily News
    Position: Sports Editor needed
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    Ad Expires: July 10, 2008
    Job ID: 804382

Description:
    IMMEDIATE OPENING ... our current sports editor is leaving to run a newsroom. We're seeking a self-starting sports editor, and while preps are our bread and butter, you also get a dose of the best college football in the country with LSU and the SEC as well as the NFL's Saints. Want to know more? We're the Daily News, located in Bogalusa, La. and we're looking for a sports editor to help take our coverage to the next levels. In addition to the preps, colleges and pros, we have the usual mix of recreational and youth sports and some of the best hunting and fishing around. Also, Bogalusa annually hosts the All-Pro Football Camp, attracting some of the nation's top college and pro stars in a youth football camp. Never heard of Bogalusa? We're 90 minutes from some of the prettiest beaches in America and a little more than an hour from New Orleans' French Quarter. While we're close enough to the city to enjoy it, we're enough in the country to enjoy a laid-back lifestyle with strangers who'll speak to you when you pass them on the street and call you by name when they get to know you. We're part of Wick Communications and this is a full-time position that features competitive pay and a full benefits package. We won 29 awards in the Louisiana Press competition and want someone who wants to win the most important award, a following from our subscribers. Our last two SEs have moved on to bigger and better jobs — one as ASE at a larger paper and the other as a ME running their own newsroom. We're looking for someone who takes pride in their work and wants to do better today than they did yesterday. Are you that person? If so, send your resume and cover letter to: John H. Walker, Publisher/Editor, The Daily News, P.O. Box 820, Bogalusa, La., 70429 or by e-mail to john.walker@wickcommunications.com. No phone calls, please. Previous applicants need not apply.

2. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

With the price of insurance in the area, and the price of gas, i really think you'd be losing money if you had this job.

3. thebigd

thebigd Member

anybody know anything about the area. Ive been to New Orleans and Ruston, but that's about it.

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Bogalusa is cajun french for "middle of fricking nowhere."

There was a thread about this job before because, since I started lurking on here about a year ago, this is the second time this job was posted. I've worked at Louisiana papers for 20 years almost and I can tell you, before this job was advertised the first time I didn't even know Bogalusa had a newspaper.

A couple of highlights I remember from the first time this job was posted:

1. Don't expect to see the Saints on company time
    2. Don't expect to see LSU on company time
    3. Did I mention it's a little town in the middle of nowhere?

One other point: Somebody suggested insurance rates would be high. I don't see why they would be extraordinarily high. Bogalusa is on the nail of the toe on the boot that is Louisiana, so it's not going to suffer from surge and water as much as the bayou region. It did take a wallop from Katrina's wind.

The killer right now in Louisiana from what I've seen is flood insurance. In both Rita and Katrina areas, they are going crazy about flood insurance

5. Big paper mill in the middle of town. Oh yeah.

Once in 1994, the SE decides to send his stringer (that's me) about 75 miles one way (mileage not covered) to this town. If I remember correctly, the only thing separating the plant from the visiting bleachers was a fence. I wanted to stay as far away from that crap as possible, so I didn't go and check.

Every five or 10 minutes this valve would sound, letting out more stench. When I finally made it back to the office, I smelled it in my clothes. I still don't know what I did to deserve that assignment.

Legend has it every year when Bogalusa would beat Pine in football, they would trot out this head: "Lumberjacks chop Pine."

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

It doesn't beat the famous headline from the Springhill weekly paper. They beat Fair Park and were headed for an idle week. The headline read: Springhill beats Fair Park; 'Jacks off for a Week

7. Judge Smails

Judge Smails New Member

That headline's nothing. In Chattanooga, Tenn., in the sixties or seventies, Baylor's best player was Happy Dicks. He got injured while playing for the private high school. "Baylor to play McCallie with Dicks out" was the headline.

Draft saved Draft deleted