1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bonnaroo

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Feb 7, 2009.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I think this is the year we finally break down and go, largely because of Springsteen.

Oddly, it's in our old backyard. My wife grew up in Manchester and I'm from near there.

Any Bonnaroo vets got any advice?

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Never gone. Always wanted to, but the throngs of dirty hippies keep me away. I have heard it's turned into quite the madhouse, which I guess is the point for many, but I'm thinking a husband-wife trip might have a slightly different agenda. Then again, I don't know you — or your wife. :D

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I had part-timers who used to line up to request time off for Bonnaroo, which I called StonerFest.
    Sounds like a great show but I'm too old for that noise.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

You're too old X 2 for that, moddy.

5. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

I hesitate to make it two "I've never gone" posts in a row, but whatever. I have also always wanted to go. Surprisingly, water and cleanliness seem to always be lacking at this jam-fest in Tennessee in early summer. So...however you can find a way to have both of those would be nice.

6. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I know several people who have gone and the horror stories about weird people coming up to them randomly to do drugs around them or try and offer and the lack of cleanliness, water and bathrooms has scared me off permanently.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

I had a ticket for last year, mainly to see Pearl Jam, but I sold it because I didn't want to have to deal with the crowd.

I thought about going this year, but I'm going to Jazz Fest instead.

8. HejiraHenry

Well, we have off-site lodging, as my wife's parents always leave town that week.

As a friend says though, "You know the weather in Tennessee in June – either hot and miserable as hell or raining and miserable as hell." Both have certainly befallen Bonnaroo in years past.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Don't know your economic situation, but you should check to see if there are VIP packages available. I went to a similar, albeit smaller, multiday concert in Florida couple of years back with VIP tickets. You pay a whole bunch, but they fed the "VIPs" twice a day, drinks were ridiculously cheap, and the VIP section was close to the stage but cordoned off from the masses.

10. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

It's like going to a third-world country for a few days, you won't be able to conveniently sleep, shower or consume cold beverages. You won't want to drink and the sun is at the top of the sky for what seems like 16 hours a day.

Other than that, the music is amazing and you can enjoy yourself pretty easily if that's your thing.

If you do go, bring plenty of cash for ice, at least two coolers, a mini grill, lots of sunscreen and don't stay up too late, because once the sun comes up, it's near impossible to sleep, especially after a couple of days when you smell like ass and can't stand to be under a blanket with yourself.

11. HejiraHenry

Well, as I said, we have off-site lodging.

I ain't camping out, at least not in that setting.

The Bonnaroo VIP tickets are quite pricey ($1,400 or so a pair) but do include some nice perks such as a parking upgrade and access to some special seating at a couple of the stages. Food, however, is not one of the perks this year with the VIP package – that's about $150 per on top of the VIP package.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Wow, that's way too much. The VIP tickets I got were about $350 apiece. Maybe you should go to the Wanee Festival in Live Oak, Fla. Of course, Springsteen ain't making an appearance there.

Draft saved Draft deleted