1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bonehead play of the day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pressboxer, Apr 11, 2009.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Saw a classic case of cranial-rectal inversion this afternoon in a high school baseball game. With two outs and runners at second and third, the batter hits a two-hopper right at the third baseman. Third baseman gloves it cleanly, takes two steps to the bag only to realize there was no force play.

The gaffe allowed the final run of a 3-1 game to score.

There was a new third baseman the next inning.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Did you blog about it?

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

No, but he did write a column calling the third baseman a "f***ing moran".

:)

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I hope you tore that 16-year-old a new one in the paper. It's the only way he'll learn.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

You only cover us when we forget there's a force out!

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Is the Bonehead Play of the Day brought to you by Coosa Slacks?

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Why did I think this thread was about Ryan Theriot? Or Lou Piniella?

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Or Matt Diaz. Or the Braves pen. Fuck.

9. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Bonehead play of two weeks ago:4-4 Division I softball game in the top of the 13th inning. Runner on third with two outs.

First pitch is turned into a squeeze bunt up the first base line. First baseman comes in to field the bunt and for some reason throws the ball home to the catcher. The runner from third is one of the other team's slap hitters, and she slides in safe well ahead of the throw. The batter advances to second as the catcher holds the ball and looks incredulously at the umpire and first baseman.

The next girl doubles, scoring the original batter, before the home team can get out of the inning. First girl in the bottom of the inning hits a solo home run, and the home team loses 6-5.

It may have been the first time I actually facepalmed at a softball game. To the first baseman's credit, she was extra sheepish after the game and called it a "stupid, dumb, wrong decision," but I expect more out of DI softball. At least, I hope I should.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You know what I did once? When I was covering a game? I was also taking pics, standing along the 1B line just outside the out-of-play line. Guy hits a little pop up right at me. First baseman comes running over. I stick my hand out to catch it, not thinking he has a play. Distracted him, ball falls to the ground. First baseman, being well-coached, bites his tongue and walks away. I was actually standing right beside his team's dugout and close to the coach, who I knew fairly well. I gave him a sheepish look and said sorry. He let it go.

No one blogged about it cuz the Internet didn't exist.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I once covered a state tournament game, and Podunk was down 1-0 in the third. Bumblefuck had the bases loaded and one out. Next guy up hits a soft grounder to the pitcher. He picked it up and ... softly tossed it to first base without looking at home.

Podunk loses 4-3.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Covered a baseball playoff game last year. Home team is down a couple runs in the bottom of the seventh, but gets a rally going. Bases loaded, one out, and the batter hits a pop up just past the home plate dirt. Ump calls the infield fly rule, so the batter is out. But the catcher drops the ball. The guy on third instinctively breaks for home, catcher calmly picks up the ball and tags him for the final out of the series.

Draft saved Draft deleted