1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bonds! Yeah!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DyePack, May 7, 2006.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

They've gone after him for more than three years now, and they still don't have anything that sticks. What makes you believe they will suddenly come up with something that would survive union scrutiny?

2. Baseball has not gone after him until this spring. For all his faults, I'm pretty confident Bud Selig, once he sees Barry Bonds staring down Hank Aaron, will use the Mitchell report or the best-interests-of-baseball clause to stop it from happening.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Sorry, but MLB is simply not strong enough. Nothing short of jail time is going to stop Bonds from breaking Aaron's record. Irks me to no end, but that's the reality. If he were in the NL east and got to hit against Atlanta 19 times a year, he'd have already broken it, the way he wears out Atlanta pitching.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

A "best interests of baseball" suspension would still be subject to appeal and an arbitrator's decision. Bonds wouldn't miss a game until/unless an arbitrator rules there are sufficient grounds for a suspension.

6. It's just my hunch, but between the commissioner's office and Washington there's enough of a sense that Bonds passing Aaron just wouldn't be right, and they're going to come up with something. At a minimum, the Mitchell report will be enough for baseball to say it won't recognize Bonds' records (Or McGwire, or Palmeiro, etc). But you can be sure Selig and others have been thinking long and hard for a way to stop Bonds from passing Aaron, period.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

No. 728 goes into the right field bleachers in Wrigley.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Damn, you beat me too it by a few hours. I think he is going to get near 740 at the end of this season.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Will Oh's mark of 800-plus homers become the new number to prevent Bonds from claiming to be the top HR hitter of all time?

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Oh's HR total is 868, beat that Bonds!

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

He is on his way. He just ruined Harang's nice outing with a game-tying two-run homer to right. No. 730.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted