1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bonds, the HR chase & the race issue

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, May 7, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

A search didn't show this article, so hopefully it's not a d_b

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2861930

Portions of the article...
    There's a lot more to the article than that, but that's just a sample

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Numbers are similiar for those surveyed on whether they wanted OJ to get off or not.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

It's sad to hear that people express opinions based on the amount of pigment in somebody's skin or automatically assume the best or the worst of somebody or automatically support somebody based on that.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

It is sad to see how this is breaking down along racial lines, instead of based on Bonds' character, the evidence on how much he's grown, or other baseball related factors.
    Boom... I agree the numbers are very similar to the OJ numbers during his trial.

Anyone know if there were surveys like this done when Aaron was chasing Ruth and what those numbers were?

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Well that's nice. He's a cheating scumbag who happens to be an asshole (and on top of that, he makes other blacks look bad by association), and the media's got to make it all about race. Sure, race colors everything in this country. If you took a poll on which chewing gum was best, it likely would be divided along racial lines. The fact is that blacks and whites view the world differently. But race had nothing to do with Bonds using the cream or the clear. He made that choice on his own.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Mike Greenberg actually had a good response to this poll on Mike & Mike this morning (Yeah, I listen to it. I admit it). He wondered if the black people responding really understood what Hank Aaron went through during his pursuit of the record when it belonged to Babe Ruth and how hard racism made it for Aaron.

I agree with him. Aaron overcame racial hatred, overcame the death threats, and he did it with the kind of dignity and class that Bonds has never shown. As much as I have always been a Bonds fan, the guy is a spoiled, arrogant prick. It is sad, but it seems like a lot of black people are buying into Bonds' claim that this is all about race, not about being the highest-profile user of PED's or about behaving like such an ass for so long that nobody wants to give him the benefit of the doubt.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is exactly parallel to "OJ guilty or innocent," in which most whites couldn't understand why blacks thought he was innocent. I had black friends who told me with a straight face that OJ was innocent and it was just a dead-end conversation for us. The best explanation I have gotten is from a friend who said something to the effect that "black guys get screwed so often that a black guy is going to bend over backward to give another black guy the benefit of the doubt."

I've tried really hard to understand this, even though I can't totally relate. It makes sense, though. I guess if you are a black guy and you see that one in three black guys in his 20s is in jail or prison, it tempers your outlook. Maybe a a lot of the guys you grew up with are in jail or on probation and you look around and you don't see that being true of whites. You see yourself getting pulled over by the cops a lot for DWB, while your white friend (me) never has that problem.

I think a lot of black guys have gotten so bitter over those kinds of facts that they don't really look at things on a case by case basis. They just see another black guy getting persecuted. They aren't going to think about whether it's justified or not in the case of Bonds, because from where they sit, the black guy always gets screwed. So even if they are playing mental games with themselves to convince themselves that Bonds didn't roid up, there is a big element of "Good for Barry. For once, the black guy is going to come out on top."

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I'd be curious to hear what percentage of black respondents who think Bonds is clean think that McGwire is clean.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's understandable that there is a bit of confusion. Up until last year both Jason Whitlock and Tom Verducci thought that Babe Ruth still held HR record.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Last time I yanked the race card out of Boom's trusty wallet and checked it, the numbers didn't seem to matter. Aaron: Black. Bonds: Black. So a black man will break the record. Saw it already.

Ultimately in 10 years, a brown man will break it again. A-Rod, followed by Pujols.

11. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

And vice versa. I'd like to think a high percentage of whites think McGwire is dirty.

As FB noted: Bonds is going to break the record of another black man. So can this really fall under the auspices of the white man trying to keep a black man down? Good grief, if this were Ken Griffey Jr. closing in an Aaron, there would be a national celebration like you can't believe.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If Hank Aaron was African American, people would feel differently. And if Pete Rose was white, he'd be in the Hall of Fame

Draft saved Draft deleted