1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bonds Indicted

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Nov 15, 2007.

1. BR --

1) If you will present the exchange in which I called you an idiot and was unrepentant about it, I will apologize for having done so. Was it this thread? Another one? This year? And I don't think 99 percent of the people on here call anyone anything. I do not believe I have been either smug or superior. I'm sorry you feel that way. That must not be cool for you.
    2) I have never -- EVER -- argued the guilt or innocence of Barry Bonds. What I said was that there were two stories here and that the history of the steroids era is incomplete without the telling of them both. And you're right -- I don't care what Bonds did. Not very much, anyway. That's not an "agenda." It's just an opinion. If he's guilty, he's guilty. You, on the other hand, said all your huffing and puffing was over a useless perjury case that's primarily about "celebrity." I agree.
    3) I do not agree that abuses by law-enforcement are "peripheral" to the criminal justice system. I have said that, based on the NYT profile, Novitzky seems a bit unhinged. His conviction rates notwithstanding -- google "Tulia, Texas" for a relevant historical parallel -- I think the pursuit of these people, especially Bonds, is a misapplication of energy and resources. I never called Novitzky crooked.
    4) I have said that there is a threat to civil liberties in allowing law-enforcement officers to run their own vendettas. That is a reasonable interpretation of the NYT story. I stand by that.
    5) You're still wrong about where we are in this country vis a vis the Bill of Rights, especially compared to where we were 30 years ago. I've given you one example, There are others.
    6) I think we'll all find that the activities of investigators towards the accused have quite some "bearing" on the criminal trial.

Oh, and probable cause?
    We don' need no stinkin' probable cause.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/22/AR2007112201444.html?hpid=topnews

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Bonds lawyers have asked for the charges to be dismissed.

ESPN Legal analyst Lester Munson: This move is the kind of move that we see when you have a group of fancy lawyers working by the hour and a client who can afford them.

Classic.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it's also a move you see from lawyers working for free. it's pretty standard stuff.

4. creamora

creamora Member

Several lawyers have said that the prosecuter did a very poor job of asking Bonds questions.I'll bet that the judge makes them rewrite the specific charges.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

mr. biggs is back. sweeeet.

[​IMG]

6. bigs deal ..

Draft saved Draft deleted