1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bonds hires Dream Team lawyers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by creamora, Dec 6, 2007.

1. creamora

creamora Member

This is very good news for Barry Bonds. Cristina Arguedas and Allen Ruby are both great lawyers. Arguedas has excellent and long term rapport with the all of the lawyers for the original BALCO defendants. Bonds will immediately have full access to everything that has been learned by the others. Many of the insiders are of the opinion that this team will serve Bonds much better than a team led by John Keker. Let the war begin.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_7653642?nclick_check=1

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Good for your hero.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

So these lawyers represent the U.S. men's basketball team in the 1992 Olympics?

4. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I thought maybe he hired the cast of that shitty 1990s Michael Keaton movie.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Bonds is a coupon-clipper who made $60 million the last three years but is too cheap to pay for first-class lawyer talent.

http://blogs.wSportsJournalists.com/law/2007/12/06/barry-bondss-legal-team-watch-whos-on-first/

Last week, Barry Bonds tried to persuade top San Francisco defense lawyer John Keker (pictured, left) to represent him in a federal perjury case. But the talks started faltering when the slugger asked Keker to handle his case at a steep discount, say several people briefed on the conversations.

Keker, who charges a $900 hourly rate, thought the request was ridiculous, these people say — especially since Bonds made nearly $60 million in salary between 2005 and 2007 alone. Keker also balked at the player’s demand to have an out-of-town law firm review the bills. Most importantly, Keker was concerned he wouldn’t have control over Bonds’s PR and legal strategies and bridled at the prospect of collaborating with the player’s current legal team. (Keker, who’s also busy representing Dickie Scruggs (here) didn’t comment; neither did Bonds.)

Yesterday, Bonds was nearing a deal with Cristina Arguedas (pictured, right), a noted Berkeley-based defense lawyer, said people familiar with the situation. (Click here for a Law Blog post on Arguedas.) The last-minute hiring underscores Bonds’s chaotic legal strategy up until this point.

With Bonds’s arraignment set for tomorrow in federal court in San Francisco, his legal moves have repeatedly backfired as his lawyers have angered prosecutors and squabbled with one another. His legal team has been spearheaded by Michael Rains, an attorney who usually defends police officers accused of misconduct in state court and who has little federal experience. In August, the slugger added John Burris, a plaintiffs lawyer with whom Rains has a contentious history, and whom Rains didn’t want on the case.

What a fucking maroon this guy is. He's cheap when it comes to lawyers, and cheap when it comes to PR. Instead of paying for a real PR guy, he tells one of his flunkies to come to SportsJournalists.com, because the price is right (FREE). You get what you pay for.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

LOL! Yes, Charles Barkley needed a lawyer after elbowing that poor dude from Angola. :)

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That's good stuff. Goes back to an earlier post I made. He's enough of a dick to ace himself out of the better lawyer when his freedom is on the line and money shouldn't have to be an object for him... But the greatest lawyer is no good to you if you are going to sabatoge your own case by fighting him, not let him run the show (and if this is correct, not be willing to meet his fee). So in a way, creamora is right. It is good news for Bonds, when put in the perspective of Bonds being an idiot who is going to likely going to sabatoge his own case in little and big ways. Bonds is going to be a pain in the ass to defend, but he is probably better off with a team that comes in more attuned to his, um, special needs, than a potentially better lawyer he is going to hamstring the whole way.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Of course, we fail to mention lawyers routinely negotiate rates and sometimes even waive fees altogether, particularly in celebrity cases from which they're going to generate millions of dollars in publicity. But, yeah, great BLOG! I'll take a guess that wasn't in the Top 5 reasons Keker is not on Bonds' defense team. Not even close.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I severely doubt top-flight lawyers waive their fees for clients banking $20 million a year.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Keker is not some mom & pop trying to build a clientele. People come looking for him, not the other way around. He has enough high-profile cases under his belt (Frank Quattrone, Google versus Microsoft, at least one of the Enron execs are the ones that come to mind from what I was reading about him when this started. There is the Ollie North thing too. And I am sure there are others I don't know off the top of my head, because I am not a lawyer groupie) that it's fairly safe to say that Bonds needed him more than he needed Bonds. Lawyers routinely negotiate rates, but Bonds is not a pauper and aside from that, in that negotiation who really has the most leverage, Bonds or Keker? A guy with tens of millions in the bank who is on trial and could face jail time, so he should be finding the best lawyer available at any cost... or a lawyer with a line of clients who pay him hundreds of dollars an hour (and he probably bills them for the time he spends sitting on the toilet if he has a thought about them). Of course if that link is correct, it would be a top 5 reason why Keker would roll his eyes and say "no thanks."

12. creamora

creamora Member

Ragu, says, "it's fairly safe to say that Bonds needed him more than he needed Bonds."

That is complete BS. Bonds hired a great team of lawyers and no one can dispute that fact. Keker is the loser, not Bonds. Keker charges $ 900 per hour. Bonds hired at least two lawyers in the same class. Keker lost out on the exposure as well as the money.
    In short, this is a dream case for any criminal defense attorney. Every single report thus far in the media has called the Bonds defense a "dream team."

Draft saved Draft deleted