1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bonds: Has the tide turned on the media bullies?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by creamora, Jul 5, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Wait. That's simply not true.

In 2001-04, Bonds led the league four times with these HR-AB ratios:

2001 NL-6.5-1
    2002 NL-8.8-1
    2003 NL-8.7-1
    2004 NL-8.3-1

But he led the league 3x from 1992-96, a period in which no one is accusing him of juicing up, with these HR-AB ratios:

1992 NL-13.9-1
    1993 NL-11.7-1
    1994 NL-10.6-4
    1995 NL-15.3-5
    1996 NL-12.3-1

Except for 2001, those other numbers do not stand out as markedly different from numbers he had put up previously. 8.8 vs. 10.6? That is NOT twice as frequent, not even close, especially considering that he has never put up a ratio of less than 16.0, even rounding down to 8.0 for your "twice as frequent" claim. Of course it's an improvement, and of course it's suspicious. But that's a different story ...

Aaron's best stretch of HR-AB ratio was this:

1969 NL-12.4-2
    1970 NL-13.6-4
    1971 NL-10.5-1
    1972 NL-13.2-1
    1973 NL-9.8-1* (did not qualify)

In the previous five seasons, however, he homered at this rate:

1963 NL-14.3-2
    1965 NL-17.8-6
    1966 NL-13.7-2
    1967 NL-15.4-2
    1968 NL-20.9-7

You want to talk about twice as frequent? Talk about an improvement from 20.9 to 10.5 in three seasons. THAT's twice as frequent. ;D

That said, the proper rebuttal (to my own numbers, even) is this:

Bonds' numbers across the board increased like his HR-AB ratio did, whereas Aaron's numbers steadily declined as he aged ... except for this particular stat, of course, which increased with no logical explanation.

The most likely explanation is that he might have been trying to hit more home runs as he approached Mays and then Ruth in 1970-73, playing for a middling Braves team that was far down in the standings. Aaron's career high for home runs came in 1971, with 47 HRs at age 37.

It's an interesting argument. But as Ragu likes to say, it's not remotely the point of this discussion.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Unfortunately, that still wouldn't be an accurate number. It doesn't take into account games he might have missed had he NOT been using.

Look, no one is denying Barry isn't or wasn't an incredible player. The man could swing the bat even long ago. But numbers aren't the be-all end-all of this. Whether we like it or not, the court of public opinion doesn't have to have facts to make a decision. And Barry can pretend all he wants that he doesn't care what the public thinks, but clearly, it can carry some weight down the line.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Buck,

You are correct. What you are pointing out says nothing about anything.

But you just cherry-picked numbers. Barry Bonds started using steroids after the 1998 season. That assertion is backed by a lot of evidence. During the first 13 years of his career--before steroids--he averaged a home run every 16.2 at bats. From 1999 to 2006, when Bonds went on his steroid-fueled tear, the frequency magically increased to a home run every 8.9 at-bats (my nearly doubled assertion). If anything, you are casting suspicion on Bonds. Aaron never approached one home run every 8.9 at-bats, never mind doing it for an extended period of time between the ages of 34 and 41.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I didn't cherry-pick; I used the same stat and the same age range that you're using for Bonds. That's a valid comparison.

I understand they offer little context, as most stats don't when they stand on their own.

I'm just putting the numbers out. You're putting the numbers out with a purpose. But yours don't "say" anything more than mine do, unless you attach the other evidence with it. Which I admit there is plenty of.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Bonds is electing to not participate in the HR Derby on Monday. Story says he'll be co-hosting a party with Jay-Z

6. Claws for Concern

Partial AP story:

Barry Bonds will sit out of the Home Run Derby on Monday night, opting to rest his tired body before Tuesday night's All-Star game.

"Nope," Bonds said Thursday when asked about the Derby. "Especially when you're 42. It's not that you don't want to, it's that you just can't anymore. You can't. It's too long. Too much waiting. Too much sitting around. You can't do that."

Bonds, who turns 43 on July 24, was set to start in Thursday night's series finale, after playing in 74 of the team's first 82 games.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It's a reasonable decision if he were a reasonable person

8. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Actually this is one time I would enjoy Bonds hitting a HR. He is a jerk and a cheater but you do have to be impressed with the fact that even a person on PED's can hit the ball so far and so often. This might have actually helped his cause, now he is throwing that away because he might get tired. I call b.s on that. Sure it is tiring but if you are a professional athlete you should be able to compete in a simple HR derby with out breaking down physically. I have never seen one athlete single handily throw away his possible good will. Bonds will always be remembered as a hall of fame player with a hall of shame attitude. His accomplishment on the playing field should be celebrated but because of his boorish attitude and refusal to accept his transgressions he has ruined his good will.

9. Claws for Concern

His decision to skip the HR Derby is typical. That he's doing it in his home park is what's horrible. This also means that Selig will be there.

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I know Bonds may be a dick(scratch that, he is a dick) and all that, but do steriods really help that much? Isn't hitting a baseball arguably the hardest thing to do in sports?
    This whole Bonds thing is very tough thing. There's evidence, but Im a huge believer in innocent until proven guilty. But here's something that many people dont talk about. Everyone keeps talking about how Babe Ruth did it on "hot dogs and beer", but no one ever mentions the fact that he never played against blacks. I mean dosn't that change some things? Shouldn't it give you second thoughts about Ruth's numbers?

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Sorry, I missed them.
    Whats your opinion?

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yeah, there is so much evidence out there yet a grand jury -- you know the one which could indict a ham sandwhich -- couldn't find any of it. Don't ever let facts and actual evidence get in the way of your speculation, innuendo and overall distaste for Bonds.....

Draft saved Draft deleted