1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bonds: Has the tide turned on the media bullies?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by creamora, Jul 5, 2007.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Which explains the vociferous boos he receives on the road, how, exactly?
    And if you think for one second that the All-Star voting can't be rigged in about a thousand different ways, you're crazy.

Ever heard of Terry Steinbach?

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Of course not. There are some planets where people have supersized heads. They kind of like Bonds.

3. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Correct, but add McGwire in there. He was getting singled out (with no proof or a failed test) long before Barry. Basically, Barry & Mac are the "sacrificial lambs" for the sports media & they want to show their "power" by taking them down.

The problem is as you say (of which I have said way before on this forum and much longer off of it to the media) that even if Mark and Barry are guilty of the worst suspected of them (especially Mark as Barry has a few more things going on allegedly) how is that any different that TONS of other athletes?

In have said this on the record before. I am totally against drug use. However, if you want to "get militant" about policing this stuff in sports you better be prepared to shut down most sports and ruin the careers of tons of athletes in SOOOOO many sports. What do you think will happen to SJ's then & their audience? How were things during the NFL strike - lol? Exactly. For our Canadian friends do we even want to talk about what goes on in Hockey?

Many other sports look like America's Most Wanted!

People need to grow up and face reality. Looks like the fans are & the media is being left behind.

Frankly, the fact that Barry & Mark have been singled out & the story WAAAAYYYYY overdone (along with the sham/shame of Mark being left out of the HOF this year) is the story as the writer points out.

Great article.

What did I tell ALL of you - AS....MORE....FACTS....COME...OUT....THE....HATER"S....WILL....LOOK....DUMB

Chalk another great call up for JDV.

The hater's should be used to it by now. Uh, I know exactly what I am talking about & see things most don't.

If you didn't know, now you know.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I still don't know.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

You're just one of the HATER"S

6. John D. Villarreal

Ha ha, sure you do. You are one of the smart ones here but still like to give JDV a hard time.

BTW, uh, are you following me?

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So San Fran fans stuff the ballot box for Bonds, and that's proof the entire nation loves Bonds and the media is full of bullies?

8. John D. Villarreal

No, he's not. He is actually smart & professional/old school. Albeit he gets annoyed with JDV's style (yet have you seen his shoes?) & can lose his objectiveness sometimes - happens to everyone.

Mod 1 = old school + liberal + can spell
    JDV = new school + conservative + "grammatically challanged"

He respects the game which is why he posts on my threads/posts & vice versa which is why I respond.

I think it's cool/funny.

John

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

10. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

As Bluto shoulda told Kent Dorfman in "National Lampoon's Animal House," Cremora, you and Mr. Scanlan, shut the fuck up.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Alright, since I'm non-journo, I'll weigh in on the fans perspective. If it was me, I would have not voted Bonds in, because the Giants are flat out terrible overall. There isn't anyone on that team I would put on the A-S team. The same goes for Tampa, KC, and Pittsburgh. If you're team is that bad and regardless how much you have done, you're taking up space for someone who deserves it (don't get me started on this Soriano shouldn't be going and Bonds has to be there argument. I'll bitch about that later.).

Cremora isn't being Pollyannish about it. He's only asking if there is a segment of writers that tend to be "bullies." That is what a sector of fans think of sportswriters: a bunch of assholes who constantly have an agenda and blowing smoke because they hate Bonds. Look, everyone hates him for the mere fact that he has some messed up schematic view of the world.

But, with that in mind, most writers are not bullying Bonds. Those who follow, research, and actually do the work to get story are telling us the facts to the case. Secondly, they are doing their job, which is to "ask questions" about Barry's alleged use of steroids, not "bullying" Barry to confess. That is a difference in my eyes. If FB is asking questions and gathering up information about steroid use in baseball and Bonds name is brought up, then he's not bullying. Bonds handlers and Bonds himself think that HB is bullying, but how can you be a bully when you asking straight-forward questions and is getting stonewalled everytime? Smart journalists will find alternative routes to answer the questions for their stories, not jump on the PC and start calling the guy a bum simply because he has refused to answer your question.

As mentioned above, Bonds doesn't like people and that is a fact. That fact alone should be the only reason why we hate Bonds personally, not the fact the he hasn't admitted to using steroids. Everyone wants to know if he took it or not. That should be the one and only question that is to be answered.

For several sportswriters who think that Selig should be in attendance when Bonds hits that HR as punishment for letting this monster feaster, should do themselves a favor and haul their asses to the ballpark as well.

Sitting in the cubicle and preaching is one of many factors on why fans are starting to say "look, it happened, and we know there are players who juiced, but there is no answer to resolve this. It's time to move the fuck on." And bring along Ubberoth and Vincent, since some of this "turn a blind eye" approach seemed to work wonders for them as well. Vincent can talk a good game, but he couldn't stop the owners and the players union from running him out of office.

That's the hypocrisy of this issue. The fans know, with some reasonable doubt still looming, that Bonds has taken steroids. With that said, he's still a freak at the plate and fans dig the long ball. End of argument.

JDV: Sosa, Sheff, Giambi, et al. are to be grouped up as well. What makes McGwire's case unique is not that he wasn't going to talk about it (steroids), but the fact that he was taking andro, which was banned everyplace else except baseball, and that no one knew WTF it was until he started talking about it. Sosa, IIRC, was taking creatine, which is used in bodybuilding, and other sports, FWIW. Creatine is like chugging down a protein shake. McGwire, correct me if I'm wrong, was either shooting andro or taking them in pills.

The furor over those two was evident in the fact that they wouldn't answer the questions about illegal drug use in baseball.

As much as I would like to an official decision made, there will be none. There is no clear-cut way to resolve the stats, who juiced, who didn't, and how this mess will be handled. The MLB office, the players' union, and everyone involved has no clue how to fix and sadly, there should be no action to fix it. No one has a clue. Neither do we.

Draft saved Draft deleted