1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bonds collusion! YEAH!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

collusion n. A concerted effort by employers to deny a qualified employee the right to work.

Keep on colluding, owners. By the time Bonds wins his collusion case, he will be 45 and in a wheelchair.

Or prison.

2. Yeah, swell.
    Good faith bargaining is so last century.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Jose Canseco could have made a similar case five years ago.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Hmmmmm.

Can't play the field, so that DQs half the teams.
    Cancer in the clubhouse, so that'll knock out a few.
    Allegedly wants a huge contract, so that eliminates a few more.
    Some teams already have their DH, so that'll knock out more, still.
    Supposedly still wants a huge deal, so there go the small-markets.

But, yeah, there's collusion here.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Bill Stoneman missed the memo on collusion. $50 million for Gary Matthews Jr. You mean they colluded to keep it down to $50 million?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He did, and he never stopped whining about it.

One problem. Unlike Bonds, Canseco stopped hitting as well as being unable to play the field and constantly injured.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Canseco was truly a part-time player his last two seasons, but he still posted .250-.260 averages and decent power numbers. He could have played a couple more seasons probably, but he was a pariah in the clubhouse (or so I've been told).

And I think we're using the wrong word for both Canseco and Bonds. I think the more appropriate term is blackballing.

8. Yeah, there's not a team in baseball that could use Barry Bonds.
    But JD Drew's worth double-digit millions.

9. If the owners colluded to stop Bonds from breaking Hank Aaron's record, there's not a jury in the world that would convict them.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I saw somewhere that the Cardinals were interested. Would be a good fit for Bonds; the fan base always welcomes a newcomer, even if it usually ends up turning on the guy. But with the way Duncan played, I don't know why the Cards would really need him.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If that means turning Duncan into a part-timer, they're better off without Bonds. Duncan's pretty lousy in the field, but the kid can hit.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

While I don't agree that Drew is worth as much as he received, Drew at least can play some defense.

Barry Bonds is a very mixed bag of goodies and baddies for any team looking to sign him. It could potentially turn off some of the real baseball fans while bringing in some of the more short-term home run fans.

Then you have the whole steroid issue with the press. You know that by signing Bonds onto your team that the entire rest of your team will receive question after question about Bonds and steroid use. Who wants to deal with that?

I don't know if it is so much the case of teams colluding as it is teams assessing the salary demands of Barry Bonds and looking at the added cost of stress, security and multiple lockers dedicated to one man and saying that it might not be worth the hassle.

Draft saved Draft deleted