1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bonds begins HOF campaign

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Aug 7, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The criteria was being a douche. Joe Jackson and Pete Rose are not excluded because they were douches. They were banned from baseball over specific allegations. Barry Bonds has not been banned.

As I said in my original post, MLB has to deal with the fact that sometime in the 90s or before, baseball changed due to PEDs and what it did to the record book. They have never dealt with it. One way to deal with it would be bans -- a la Pete Rose and Joe Jackson -- but they 1) haven't done that, and 2) don't want to do it, because with those bans for people linked to PED use, they may as well just shut the HOF to new inductees.

In my opinion, the best of the least perfect options, is to come up with some consistent guidelines that acknowledge PED use -- something that everyone understands. That acknowledges that lots of players used from a certain point on, even as they are still considered not kosher. And then move forward.

My douchebag criteria is not analogous to Pete Rose or Joe Jackson, though, because they were banned from baseball. They aren't excluded for being douches.

2. He got in many years after his book came out in which he admitted to doctoring the ball.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I can't stand what he did or what era he represents, but I'd vote for Bonds. His numbers are too good to ignore.

I'm not comfortable with the, "he was never banned from baseball" idea, because he would have been under today's rules (and some roids were illegal in society at large when he played), but I don't make the rules.

It's the borderline-to-long shot guys -- McGwire, etc. -- that I'd rule out based on the 'roid criteria. They needed roids to get in the conversation.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The information on Jackson was conflicted at best.

Regarding Rose, perhaps I should use more precise language. He compromised the integrity of the game by betting on games he managed. Even if he never intentionally threw a game, he would bet on some and not others, calling into question his integrity when he managed those games.

If you want to say he wasn't technically fixing games, that's fine. You are entitled to your opinion. Bottom line is he broke a rule that is more important to the game than the use of illegal performance enhancers. It is worse to be trying to win only some games than to be cheating in an attempt to win them all.

5. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Bonds deserves to get in. He would have still hit over 600 HRs without steroids.

I've brought this up before, but someone should go back and look at all of the players who used steroids and estimate what their stats would be if they played clean. Or award extra stats to players who were clean to balance the comparisons.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What kind of deduction should we make for Jetes?

7. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I've figured that if Jeter had used steroids, he'd probably have had an additonal 10-15 steals, 15-20 HRs per year along with a 25-40 point increase in batting average.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

9. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Right, because Jeter played clean.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So anyone who voted for Perry and may be still voting now really can't refuse to vote for Bonds because they thought he cheated.

12. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

With the media's anti-Yankee bias, if Jeter was ever suspected of cheating, it would have been all over the news.

Draft saved Draft deleted