1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bonds begins HOF campaign

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Aug 7, 2012.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Baseball has evolved. Ruth didn't even play the same game as Bonds, and he competed against a vastly inferior pool of players.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And I'm saying there's no possibility of deciding who does and doesn't belong in that group. Frank Thomas? Jim Thome? Derek Jeter? Randy Johnson? Jeff Bagwell? Or because their names never showed up in news reports, they're clean?

I know (or I think) you're being somewhat facetious/hypothetical, but this is why I think Bonds ends up being first-ballot. Voters will just compare guys against their era and a certain number of the best will make it.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

He'll get in but I can't see it as first ballot.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

You can scratch Bagwell because the writers have already shown they lump him in with the cheaters by the voting since he became eligible.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Which is among the dumber things Hall of Fame voters have done, and that's saying something. There is no evidence at all against Bagwell and he certainly has the resume to get in.

6. outofplace

This is a terrible argument. Rose and Jackson are being held out for completely different reasons from Bonds. Rose also accepted his ban, though he was foolish enough to think it was only temporary.

Intentionally fixing games is worse than using PED's to succeed.

7. outofplace

Bonds would need to have the capacity for humility to kiss somebody's ass, so there is no danger of that.

But I think it is pretty silly to argue that a player as driven to be the best as Bonds was wouldn't care about getting into the Hall of Fame.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

When was Bonds banned from baseball?

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's not so much about being a douche for me, but it's about did you compete fairly?

Players like Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, Rodriguez and others caused me to lose all respect for Major League Baseball. I suspect I'm not the only one.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Then what about players who used greenies and pitchers who doctored the baseball? Cheating has been going on in baseball forever.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Gaylord Perry didn't compete fairly. He's in the Hall of Fame.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

True. I just don't think it was as blatant and prevalent in Perry's day. Not sure how I would have voted on Perry.

It is, to me, a sad commentary on sports in general that so many feel they have to cheat. Too much money in the game and it tempts people.

Draft saved Draft deleted