1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bonafide Baseball Hall of Famers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jul 24, 2009.

1. zimmaniac06

zimmaniac06 Member

Walker had an even more ridiculous line at Coors than Helton does: .381 / .462 / .710 / 154 / 521 in 597 games. What helps his case is that he won seven Gold Gloves in the outfield (Helton isn't too shabby, but he has three and plays first) and he proved himself away from Colorado, both at the beginning of his career in Montreal and the end of it in St. Louis. Walker also has an MVP, whereas Helton has never finished higher than fifth--not saying that's a huge deal, but it will enter the minds of some voters. It go a long way for Helton if he was a valuable contributor somewhere else in the next few years.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Good call on both. Another guy who I think may be borderline is Chipper Jones. He's going to need 3,000 hits to get in IMO.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Chipper's a lot more than borderline, especially when you consider the lack of third basemen in the Hall. What about his numbers says he's not a lock?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The .309 career average should help. So should a World Series ring and an MVP award. I don't think he has much of a shot at reaching 3,000 hits. He is 37, can't stay healthy and more than 600 hits away. Even 500 home runs is more likely, but even that would take a couple of healthy seasons. Guys just don't stop being brittle at his age.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Since I mentioned them earlier, Bill James' HOF Monitor (which predicts how likely a player is to get into the Hall) and his HOF Standards (which argue whether he deserves it) both put Jones in the "no-doubt" category.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jonesch06.shtml

6. I think Chipper Jones is probably definitely in. I like to use the very scientific "wife" test. Does my wife, a big Sox fan but casual baseball fan otherwise, know that the guy is a star? She definitely knows Chipper Jones.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Bert Blyleven in yet? No?

See you all next year.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I like Chipper. Think he's a great player. But I also remember another good from Atlanta who wore #3 and put up some decent numbers and he's not in, despite several MVP awards. And the lady friend know who Dale Murphy was just as she know who Chipper Jones is.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

Agree. Without a doubt.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Chipper Jones and Dale Murphy aren't in the same league as hitters. Well, they were in the same league, literally, but you know what I mean :)

Dale Murphy is a career .265 hitter.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Chipper is a better hitter. No argument there. I just don't see Chipper making it to Cooperstown without 3,000.
    Right now, IMO, the only player who doesn't need 3,000 Major League hits to make it into Cooperstown is Ichiro.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Rick,

Just about to post that. Chipper is head and shoulders above Murphy as a hitter, not to mention then throwing in their defensive positions.

Draft saved Draft deleted