1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bon Jovi debuts at no. 1; 1st no.1 album in 19 years

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Jun 27, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Were all from New York.... not that we wouldn't happily claim them for NJ.

The all-time Jersey roster includes:
    Sinatra, Count Basie, Sarah Vaughn, Dionne Warwick, Deborah Harry (and Blondie), Frank Valli (and the Four Seasons), Paul Simon, George Clinton, Patti Smith, Whitney Houston, Lauryn Hill, Ice-T (not sure we want to admit that), The Smithereens, Southside Johnny Lyon...and too many others to list (who I can't think of right now)

Little Steven was born in Massachusetts but moved to NJ when he was a kid, so we'll claim him too.

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Jersey represent! I'd put Sinatra No. 1on the list. Forgot he was a Jersey guy. Hoboken?

At least WE have Loretta Lynn, Bill Monroe and My Morning Jacket. Oh, and Exile! Let's see who remembers them.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Mary Chapin Carpenter, Trey Anastasio, John Popper, Robert Randolph, Railroad Earth, Monster Magnet, The Atomic Bitchwax, My Chemical Romance, Fountains of Wayne, Glenn Danzig, Sarah Vaughn, Queen Latifah, Patti Smith, Connie Francis.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

patti smith would have to be no. 3 among jersey rockers, imo.

never was a big bon jovi guy, but they do have some wonderful songs. i also give 'em props for remaining intact for all this time.

oh, and based upon my casual, 15-minute interview with jon four years ago before a nets playoff game, i can report he's a genuine, down-to-earth fella. very, very cool, fwiw. 8) 8) 8)

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How many acts have been able to fill stadiums consistently for more than 20 years?

I'd be surprised if anyone can name 10.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Big deal. People fill stadiums for Promise Keeper conventions, people filled theatres last week to see tripe like Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer (there were five sequels and one adaptation of an old children's character -- Nancy Drew -- in the top 10), and people will fill stadiums to see Bon Jovi.

That might be an indicator that their shows are a good time. It is likely a bigger indicator that a lot of people don't want to think too much when they're having a good time, which is fine. It also an indicator that, in most cases, it's easier to take a date to a Bon Jovi show than, say, a My Morning Jacket show.

It is no reflection of the quality of Bon Jovi's music which is shit.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Not really a big fan of Bon Jovi, but I really like "Who Says You Can't Go Home".

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Shitload of people eat at McDonald's every day, Mizzou.

It's quick and easy and doesn't take a whole lot of effort and thought. Which reminds me a lot of Bon Jovi's music.

9. i like two Bon Jovi songs

Runaway, which is 24 years old

and Something for the Pain, which is 12 years old. and it sucks but I like it

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Unfortunately, NJ div. of tourism is using that as its theme song this summer.
    Hear it one more time and I'm gonna kill someone.

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

If you're gonna do it, go for the guy that did the song.

That way, karma's OK with you.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

That was my intent

Draft saved Draft deleted