1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bombing at Norwegian Government Building

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I seem to remember that taking about the same amount of time (about a day or so) that it took to label the Norwegian gunman as a right wing religious extremist. I'm going to check on that, though, just to see.

A quick check of ProQuest found that both The New York Times and Boston Globe reported those details on November 7th (the incident happened on the 5th), based on an NBC "Today" show interview with a Lt. Gen. who was at the base. I would assume that interview happened on the 6th so that would mean that it was reported the day after the incident occurred.

I just checked ABC News' site and they mentioned him shouting "Allahu Akbar!" in a story on November 6th.

2. vicd

vicd Active Member

This was the headline in the St. Pete Times on Nov. 6:
    SUSPECT SAID TO BE DEVOUT MUSLIM; FAMILY SAYS HE WANTED OUT OF ARMY

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

if only Hasan had posted his political manifesto online - like that Lone Apolitical Psychopathic Nut in Oslo - we'd have known his particulars even sooner.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

So, hondo, about that assertion you were making?

5. lono

lono Active Member

Educate yourself, Hondo.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2011/07/media-reacts-news-norwegian-terror-suspect-isnt-muslim/40322/

Lone nut.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

hondo, what an absurd position to take, even for this place.

7. printdust

printdust New Member

This is the kind of bullshit that makes you leftwing fools in front of most of America. It is what gave birth to the Tea Party. It's your "never wrong, never at fault" arrogant demeanor. Fact is, it's happened on both sides and it happens a LOT with the left. Yet to hear them, there's never been a single such utterance.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Lone nut.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Who is, printdust? Totally agree.

10. lono

lono Active Member

Lone nut.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

These quotes, gathered on my own:

“The important thing is for everyone not to jump to conclusions,” said retired Gen. Wesley Clark on CNN the night of the shootings.

“We cannot jump to conclusions,” said CNN’s Jane Velez-Mitchell that same evening. “We have to make sure that we do not jump to any conclusions whatsoever.”

“I’m on Pentagon chat room,” said former CIA operative Robert Baer on CNN, also the night of the shooting. “Right now, there’s messages going back and forth, saying do not jump to the conclusion this had anything to do with Islam.”

The next day, President Obama underscored the rapidly-forming conventional wisdom when he told the country, “I would caution against jumping to conclusions until we have all the facts.”

“We can’t jump to conclusions,” Army Gen. George Casey said on CNN November 8. The next day, political analyst Mark Halperin urged a “transparent” investigation into the shootings “so the American people don’t jump to conclusions.”

And when Republican Rep. Pete Hoekstra, then the ranking member of the House Intelligence Committee, suggested that the Ft. Hood attack was terrorism, CNN’s John Roberts was quick to intervene. “Now, President Obama has asked people to be very cautious here and to not jump to conclusions,” Roberts said to Hoekstra. “By saying that you believe this is an act of terror, are you jumping to a conclusion?”

And David Brooks, days after the shooting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/10/opinion/10brooks.html?_r=2&em

12. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Norway suspect admits using video games for 'training-simulation'
    Yahoo!7 July 25, 2011, 4:34 pm

The man accused of killing at least 93 people in a youth camp massacre in Norway has said that the video game 'Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2' was a part of his training for the "long-planned mission".

Calling himself a crusader against a tide of Islam, 32-year-old Anders Behring Breivik has written in detail about how he used Activision’s 'Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 game' and Blizzard Entertainment’s 'World of Warcraft' game to help prepare for the attack.

“I just bought Modern Warfare 2, the game. It is probably the best military simulator out there and it’s one of the hottest games this year. I see MW2 more as a part of my training-simulation than anything else,” he writes in his hate-filled 1500-page online manifesto.

Breivik posted the manifesto, written in English, on Friday, describing his violent philosophy and how he planned his onslaught and made explosives.

"Once you decide to strike, it is better to kill too many than not enough, or you risk reducing the desired ideological impact of the strike," he added.

He wrote that "target practise" was difficult for "urban Europeans like us" and recommended playing video games as alternatives.

Breivik, a self-styled founder member of a modern Knights Templar organisation, hints at a wider conspiracy of self-appointed crusaders and shows a mind influenced by the fantasy imagery of online gaming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.