1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bombing at Norwegian Government Building

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. printdust

printdust New Member

It will remain my quote? Either it was or it wasn't. A quote is a quote.
    Show me the number post in the thread. I've gone back and copied everything I said and you still remain your delusional, radical self. And saying so will always confuse you, just like Hondo did.

2. printdust

printdust New Member

Liberals would give that guy life in prison and hang Beck.

3. lono

lono Active Member

Post 58.

Lone nut.

4. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Since when did those pansy ass liberals believe in capital punishment?

5. printdust

printdust New Member

When it involves a racist, homophobic bigot like Beck.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Arguing with Kermit about soccer makes more sense than engaging Print on this topic.

7. RagingCanuck

RagingCanuck Guest

He finally tipped the scales on the signal to noise ratio for me. It's just screaming into the dark from my perspective.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Also, there is no equivalency there. No one could argue that people don't understand the gravity of terrorism or the magnitude of 9/11. It doesn't take a photo of a guy jumping from the tower, even if his strawman had been true.

But the equivalency he is attempting to make with that strawman has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that at Abu Grahib --- which was totally unrelated to 9/11 -- the United States failed miserably. We are supposed to be a liberal democracy that emphasizes civil liberties, human rights, the rule of law and due process, and we stomped on everything we are supposed to stand for. We should have been ashamed.

We can't control Al Queda's irrational violence. And there is no shortage of hatred for extremists who resort to terrorism.

We can certainly control our own behavior, though. And if we are going to preach a set of principles, when we violate them, the evidence should be splashed all over the place, and we should be humiliated by it. We're supposed to be better than that.

It's not, "We were attacked on 9/11," so let's compare how it was covered versus how it was covered when the U.S. spit all over everything it supposedly stands for. They are unrelated, and honestly, no one sane could argue that the level of appropriate outrage after 9/11 was somehow obscured because of skewed media coverage.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Every time there is an act of extremism or terrorism by someone of the Muslim faith or representing that faith, there is a concerted effort for people not to "rush to judgement." But when a Timothy McVeigh or Eric Rudolph or this wacko from Norway surfaces, the left-wing can't wait to paint ALL Christians and anyone to the right of center with the same brush. Rationalize all you want, but it happens.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Exactly the opposite happens. These guys are labeled as lone nuts and any Muslim who commits an act of terrorism is used as evidence to show why Islam is a dangerous religion.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

ALL Christians? C'mon.

Let's try this instead for "double standard":

- Any "Muslim" act of mass violence is an ideological act committed by a rational, dispassionate actor.

- Any Non-"Muslim" act of mass violence is the work of a psychopath.

Discuss.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Horseshit. All you have to do is look at the media reaction to the Fort Hood shooting and how long it took for the MSM to actually confirm that the guy was A. Muslim, B. Yelled Allah Akabar while he was shooting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.