1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bomb Syria, Even if It Is Illegal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't recall any Syrians involved in 9/11. I think I'll be fine on 9/11, and you will, too. Terrorists aren't targeting Methtown.

Anyway, I doubt many on both sides of the aisle were concerned about arming the Mujahideen during the 1980s.

2. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Are you claiming the militants in Syria have no ties to al qida?

As for terrorists targeting "Mehtown." Speak for yourself. You don't know where I live or where I will be. Go ahead and relax...nothing will happen to anyone. Al quda is dead and GM is alive, right?

3. BenPoquette

[​IMG]

Looks cozy!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not sure how much of a threat Syria is to rank-and-file Americans. They're in a strategic place in the Middle East, so it's not like North Korea where you basically ignore their nut-job leader.

Way back thousands of years ago in the Old Testament, God told the Israelis that when you invade a land, to utterly wipe out the natives and their leaders. Why? To be mean? No, it was because that if you let the varmits live, they will be a thorn in your side forever. And that's sort of how history has played out.

5. BenPoquette

Mark, it isn't Syria I am worried about. It's the chain of events that could unfold if we strike.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What chain would that be? Please elaborate.

I do understand the rationale for not attacking. Fine, stay away. Just don't go halfway. Either go or don't go.

7. BenPoquette

First of all, I agree. Do not attack, but if you do make sure to do the job.

The chain I am talking about...we strike Syria, Iraq strikes Israel, Israel strikes Iraq, Russia joins with Iraq and we are in a bad spot. Meanwhile, what is to stop China, while we are in the middle of all this, from invading? Will any of this happen? Probably not...but you have to think about all possibilities.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

China invading where? Israel? Syria?

I do follow your logic. It's hard to predict. What I would suggest is if the US decides to strike Syria, strike so hard that they are incapable of striking Israel. They've been a thorn in Israel's side for a long time now. So I doubt Israel would shed too many tears over their ruin.

If you don't feel the urge to get involved, I see that point, too. As Sarah Palin said "let Allah sort it all out".

9. BenPoquette

I completely think we should not get involved. No reason to put anyone in harm's way for no reason at all. And, yes, if we do get involved we have to go all-out...and I sincerely hope the politics stop at the water's edge. My side complained about the Democrats playing politics with the war in Iraq...I hope they can practice what they preach.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If I'm Obama I only proceed if a majority of Republicans in both the House and Senate vote in favor.

Bomb weapons production and storage facilities and their airforce. And if a few strays hit a pipeline towards Russia...oops

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How happy is Hillary right now that she's not involved in selling this?

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Boy, what a shitshow this thread has become ...

Just wanted to chime in on one point:

Incorrect. June 3, 1942 was the 11th (and most recent) time Congress has passed an actual Declaration of War.

Bonus points if you can guess the correct country.

Spoiler: It was Romania. (We also declared war against Bulgaria and Hungary that day.)

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/08/all-the-previous-declarations-of-war/279246/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.