1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bomani Jones wearing "Caucasians/Indians" T-shirt on Mike and Mike

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CD Boogie, Apr 7, 2016.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I think the fact that people are getting upset about this at all is making Bomani's point quite clearly.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You got beat up on Twitter after he responded to you

3. JPsT

JPsT Member

So this is just personal distaste for a guy who often talks about something that makes you uncomfortable even though (at least one of) you agree(s) with him on the issue at hand?

All right.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I see both sides.

Of course, Jones is laying bare the hypocrisy of whites who insist that Native American stereotypes are perfectly OK, contrary to the feelings of actual Native Americans.

On the other hand, two wrongs don't make a right.

5. bamabelle2k15

bamabelle2k15 Member

Wasn't the whole point of this was to make white people understand how stupid and offensive this is to Native Americans? If you offended, congratulations, that's the point. lol If you don't like offensive "white" images imagine how the rest of us feel? As a black woman, I remember Sambo.If you don't know who Sambo is, look it up. But some of you are in your feelings because a black man had the nerve to point out racism in this country. How dare he. Doesn't he know his place?

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I just enjoy seeing the talentless executives in Bristol who feed us Mike n Mike everyday have to feel uneasy when something like this goes down.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

sambosgoletaca.jpg

8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Heh, I find that shirt funny.

9. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

You think Bomani's aware that the Indians were the first AL team to break the major league color barrier (Larry Doby)?

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

They were also the first team to hire an African-American manager (Frank Robinson). Still doesn't excuse their blatantly racist team name or mascot.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Does that make Chief Wahoo not racist?

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would love to see two guys parade around a major league stadium, one in the (officially licensed) Indians gear and one in the Caucasians gear. Bet one of 'em gets ejected.

Would make for nice video.

Draft saved Draft deleted