1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bolt -- world record...again.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Aug 16, 2009.

1. derwood

derwood Active Member

His goal is 9.4, I don't think sub 9 is possible.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think we're getting pretty close to the limit of human achievement on this one. Watching that race yesterday it was over so quickly it felt like they only ran about 80 meters

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I disagree. There is a clear relationship between height and starting ability in sprinting. Taller longer-legged sprinters often struggle with the start but tend to be stronger finishers after their top speed stride kicks in, whereas shorter stockier sprinters are usually better at exploding out of the blocks but often get run down after the field has reached top speed. It's why track coaches have had a tendency to push sprinters built like Bolt into the 200 and 400, where the start isn't as important, instead of the 100. I won't claim to know why (I've read it has to do with longer legs and having to bend over more in the blocks putting em in a more awkward starting leverage situation) but that relationship clearly does exist.

And it's how it works with Bolt, too. The start is the only part of his races where he looks human. But, after those first 20 meters, he's running on a different plane than anybody ever before him.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Hey, records keep falling like dominoes with this guy. Anything is possible.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Maybe, but there have always been athletes who were way above others. Track and Field's a bit different because of its history so there's certainly reasons to be skeptical. Swimming too. But I don't think the criteria should be you're under suspicion just because you're so much better than everyone else. Should Nicklaus have been suspected? Gretzky's numbers made hundreds of thousands of hockey players' numbers look pathetic. Suspicious of him? I'd also take LeBron out of the Phelps-Woods trio; it seems like an SAT question of which one doesn't belong. Two of them might be the best ever in their sport. The other one has an absurd body, but isn't anywhere close to being considered the greatest ever.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Phelps' and Bolt's opponent basically is a clock when it comes to where they stand in history. You can take James off of the list, but I would add Armstrong.

If James was on the juice, he can be removed from those three because the other guys he is playing against are on the juice as well so that evens things out. If James was playing in 1960, he might average 50-25-15. It's just the players he has played against are on the same stuff he is on, so the numbers look similar.

The stopwatch cannot be on juice.

7. derwood

derwood Active Member

Bolt has been unbelievably fast since he was 16, he is the only man run sub 20 200m race as a teen. Keep in mind 200m is his best event.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

One of the most impressive things I've ever seen in person was Bolt actually finishing 2nd in his 200m prelim in Beijing last year. He ran hard the first 110 meters and then I'm not joking when I say he jogged the last 90 meters. Some other guy edged him at the line and we joked how when that guy tells his grandkids that story he won't mention the fact that Bolt shut it down about halfway through.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I remember that. Amazing, indeed.

What did Bolt do in the prelims for the 100 this week? I'm guessing he jogged again to a couple 2nd or 3rd place finishes, probably laughing along the way.

Anyone know if he has any personality? If so, I'm sure someone will try to do a reality show about him.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Savannah Sanitoa shattered 15.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1206969/Samoan-shot-putter-Lightning-Bolt-Thunder-Thighs.html

Probably a bit faster than I could do.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

There will be a Cool Runnings-type movie, only this will be about, running.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. EE94

EE94 Guest

Gay beat him out of the blocks, so he obviously choked the rest of the race

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted