1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bolt -- world record...again.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Over the first 40 yards the other seven guys in the race are just about as fast as Bolt. Watch the tape, he doesn't pull away until the last half of the sprint.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Based on that chart, he ran about a 4.4-4.5 during his Beijing run.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Based on that chart, ESPN's 3.73 came from yards 50-90, which is a hell of a lot different if you take out the first 10 yards, which are always going to be the slowest.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

Those are the same idiots who tried to tell us Michael Johnson was the fastest man in 1996 because his 19.32 200 equaled two 9.66 100s. No it doesn't. The second 100, with a flying start, is considerably faster than the first. Mike never ran a 100 faster than 10.09.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

That didn't stop much of the American media from dubbing him "the world's fastest man" anyway. ::)

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

BTW, who decided 100 meters is the measure for the fastest human? Why not 200? Or 50? Or a mile? Or 10?

Just a random thought.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Or why should it be connected to any one event at all? I think the measure for who gets the WFM title should be whoever can hit the fastest maximum MPH velocity, regardless of what event it took place in.

Which is why I've got no problem with people hanging that tag on Johnson in 96, at least if I'm correct in recalling that his peak speed was slightly higher than the 100 winners' that year. Johnson couldn't do the 100 because he was a slow starter out of the blocks, but once he did get up to top speed he was moving at a faster rate than anyone in the world that year. That qualifies as the world's fastest man in my book.

Of course, this is no longer an issue now that the same guy dominates both events.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Well they tried to settle it with 150 metre race but Johnson faked a hamstring injury when he realized he was going to lose.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Gee, there's no bias seeping through there (note the "metre" spelling), is there?

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

no, none at all. ;D

I actually thought it was a ridiculous concept to begin with.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

wfw

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Not so fast my friend:

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/track_field/news?slug=reu-boltlongjump&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Draft saved Draft deleted