1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boise State- Oregon Sucker Punch....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Sep 4, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Woody Hayes can't think of a similar incident either.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I haven't found a link but one of the papers is reporting that Blount was called the "N-word" by the Boise player and Blount then took a swing at him.

If true, does that change anyone's opinion?

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Fired the next morning.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Of the Boise player, yes.

You still cannot hit a man, though.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Have we seen anything like this in the past 25-30 years? Sure. Fla Intl vs. Miami a couple of years ago. Helmets were being flung and/or swung.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

This report was inevitable. Who's saying that? If it's just Blount, I don't consider him a credible witness.

Of course, many people already assume he did that because most white people are racist.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Or maybe it's because Hout is from Northern Idaho, known to be a hotbed for racism (as in the Aryan Nation was headquartered there).

And nobody assumes most white people are racist, except, apparently, for you.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

OK, I stand corrected, most white people aren't racist, but if you're from Northern Idaho, you definitely are. Got it.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Considering the amount of national play this is getting (beyond ESPN), and Blount's past problems, I'd say start at four games and see how he responds. If his grades and attitude don't improve, he doesn't play again.

As bad as it was - and it was bad - I had to laugh at the look of the lineman's face as he got coldcocked.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I figured it was just a matter of time before racial accusations entered this.

If it's true, yes it might make a difference, but I'm HIGHLY skeptical that it's true. I still remember the 98 final four when everybody freaked out when North Carolina's Center (N'diaye) claimed a Utah player was spewing racial epithets at him, only to have N'diaye later retract and admit he'd made it up, wouldn't be surprised if something similar was happening here to try to cover Blount's ass.

The Boise guy made the comment directly in front of his coach and many others, he'd be the dumbest shit to ever live to use that word there. And if he did it, it sure seems like something Blount might've mentioned in his first interviews and public apology afterward, but he didn't. The sounds to me like it might be an excuse concocted after the fact.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Yes.
    If he did, then Blount gets a pass for punching him in the face. He still doesn't get a pass for punching his own teammates and then going after the crowd - unless one of them dropped an N-bomb on him.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

http://i.tsn.com/i/photos/20090904/123176.gif

Draft saved Draft deleted