1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boise State- Oregon Sucker Punch....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Sep 4, 2009.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

And he didn't even do the pose right.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

So what's your point? What difference does that make to the question of whether it's a taunt or not?

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well, for one, he directed it at his own fans and didn't get in anybody's face.

And he also didn't tap a guy from Ohio State on the pads and say "hey, watch this asshole"

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Two conference games.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Not worse than all the other taunting. The backflips in the end zone, the gator chomp, etc.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It was an end zone celebration. Not a taunt.

A taunt is when you get in an opposing player's face and mock them or talk trash. A celebration is much different.

I've long wondered, if Woodson's teammates hadn't mugged him after his punt return against OSU in 1997, would he have struck the pose? He seemed to be preparing for something once he crossed the goal line.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The editor of ESPN.com puts Blount in perspective ...

http://twitter.com/Rfking/statuses/3760792814

Can I imagine a scenario in which I slug someone from Yahoo!, swing at Pat Forde, lunge at our site visitors, & still keep my job? Um, no.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Pat Forde made Chuck Norris cry. Don't fuck with him.

9. the puncher deserves whatever is coming to him.

the punchee already got what was coming to him.

(actually if i was coach/AD i would suspend the boise guy a game, too, or at least make him run punishment until he gets it.)

there is no excuse for what the oregon guy did. but it also serves as a reminder to every jerk out there that if you ask to get punched in the face, every once in a great while there will be someone out there who will take you up on it and punch you in the face.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Blount should be out of the program and out of school by Monday afternoon, IMHO. If another university wants to take a chance on him, then Mavel Tov, but for this season he is done.

Do we have anything to compare this two in college athletics?

I know there was the SC fight a few years ago, but this kid has raised the bar pretty high, right?

11. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

Drakes,
    Exactly. That's the point in this whole thing. It's like if you assign ANY blame to the Boise kid then people think you're defending Blount. They can be mutually exclusive.
    I think Blout should be kicked off the team. The way he reacted --- from the first punch to the punch on his own teammate to having to be restrained by five people --- was a complete embarassment. And he should be punished severely.

I also think the Idaho farm boy showed ZERO class, said something stupid, and thought Blount would just keep on walking. If he would have shown as much class AS EVERYONE ELSE ON HIS TEAM, then there wouldn't have been an incident at all. But for some reason the second-string DE had to be an ass (as if Blount hadn't been embarrassed enough by his own performance). And now he's on Youtube for the rest of eternity --- which is a pretty fitting punishment as well.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

There are probably 500 examples of stupid things being said on the football field every game.

Only one punch like this...

Draft saved Draft deleted