1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boise State being investigated by NCAA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 3, 2011.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The idealist in me says the NCAA knows we're all watching on this one with the recent events at Ohio State and Auburn with Newton and that there's no way they can give Boise a more crippling punishment.

The realist looks at this statement and laughs his ass off.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Those were before the BCS and the explosion in TV rights fees. I think the quick disposition of the Newton affair is more to the point here. But, hey, if you're cool with Florida's and Alabama's arrest records -- and if you honestly believe that a mid-level SEC school like Ole Miss would be paying $150,000 for a mid-level prospect like Albert Means but none of the big boys are doing anything untoward -- then just keep on waving that flag.

"Julio? You know what, I actually ran into Julio in the spring recruiting. I said hello to him and said, I guess I'll be seeing you at the end of August. Then he got out and got in his Escalade and drove off."

--Clemson defensive coordinator Vic Koenning, 2008, on Julio Jones

3. MrBSquared

MrBSquared Member

"There is a wrong culture in athletics, and I'm declaring war on it."

A 2003 quote from THE Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee. He said it in 2003, when he was chancellor at Vanderbilt -- just before he eliminated the athletics department and made it all a part of the University Affairs office there. Of course, that has worked out well, what with Vandy going on to become a beastly atheltic dynasty and all ...

A man of his word, ol EGG is ... fits right in there well with the NCAA

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

First of all, the supposition was that an SEC team could do "anything short of murder" and not get touched. I believe I have shown otherwise.

Secondly, nobody has hammered Boise State.

We have built this huge hypothetical ("Wouldn't it be just perfect if the NCAA looked the other way with every power school and hammered lil' ol Boise?") and have started treating it as fact.

Why wait for the outcome when the hypothetical is so much more fun to bitch about?

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

In my jaundiced view, both Bama and Auburn should have been handed the death penalty years ago, and if you want to throw Florida into that cauldron,I would not say you nay.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe because the NCAA has shown in the past that they're biased towards the BCS schools.

Look how often you hear of SWAC schools, which have a considerably less budget than the BCS schools, get drilled by the NCAA.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

My goodness, I am so shocked, shocked I say that Boise State is cheating..... ::)

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Boise State must go down -- to save the integrity of women's tennis.

9. But at women's tennis?

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

It is possibly because of that lack of a budget that SWAC schools get nailed.

Everyone has a compliance department that is able to either steer coaches away from violations, minimize them if they happen and do damage control if they get caught. Ohio State's is pretty massive. My guess is Prairie View A&M's is not. At the high school level, where I coach, you wouldn't believe the number of coaches who have no clue of the state association rules on stuff as simple as the number of quarters you can play in a season or how/how often you can work out in the off-season. A coach at a low-budget SWAC school won't have a compliance officer looking over his shoulder telling him not to send any more text messages to recruits quite like a coach at an SEC or Big Ten school would.

11. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I covered a pair of smaller Div I schools in Florida and both had compliance officers. In fact I would guess it's just the opposite, that a small school coach would be more willing to listen to his compliance officer than a coach getting paid millions with the expectation of winning now.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think the opposite is true. Small sport coaches, especially ones like tennis where they recruit a lot of international athletes, are more likely to break the rules because they figure nobody is paying attention.

Draft saved Draft deleted