1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boise State being investigated by NCAA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 3, 2011.

1. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

All I know is that Idaho State's really going to feel the NCAA's wrath over this one.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This would be a perfect capsule of the NCAA: ignore its own rules when SEC teams do everything short of murder because the networks and the BCS can't live without the SEC, and then hammer away at one of the main threats to the monopoly.

The total amount of "violations" regarding the football team was $4,934 for 63 players. That doesn't buy one half of one game from Cam Newton.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Ridiculous. Scrutinizing someone for $2.34? Really?

The head coach of OSU was caught lying and committed perjury; all in a coverup. This is caught smoking weed compared to embezzlement of the US Govt.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

From the article:

"In football, the NCAA determined that total dollar value over five years was $4,934 for all of the housing, transportation and meals provided to 63 incoming student-athletes. All services ranged from $2.34 to a maximum of $417.55 and have been reimbursed by the student-athletes ..."

$2.34? Really?

It's stupid crap like this is why the NCAA needs to be blown up by Congress.

EDIT: QT beat me to the "Really?"

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Odd how Boise has "lack of institutional control" hanging over it for this while Ohio State avoids it despite its current troubles coming amid nearly 400 secondary violations since 2000.

A major violation in women's tennis is a major violation in women's tennis, though. Such insolence cannot stand.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What is it about women's tennis? When USC got nailed it was for violations in football, men's basketball and, yep, women's tennis. I'm going to guess it has something to do with coaches who recruit not the best players but the ones who look best in, and would be most willing to get out of, those short skirts.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Looks like a whole lotta smoke and little fire. A serious violation in women's tennis? Allegations that football athletes received $4,934 in housing/meals over five years?

Not exactly BCS automatic qualifier-caliber violations.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Institutional control? Ohio State's president is just glad his football coach lets him stay.

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Isn't this really caused by opposing teams and viewers complaining about the Smurf Turf? :D

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Strange.

I could have sworn Alabama, Auburn and Florida each were hammered by the NCAA.

Guess I must have imagined that 11-0 Auburn team sitting out the SEC championship game and sitting at home on bowl day. And that two-year bowl ban and 21 scholarships that Alabama lost in the 1990s.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I believe they got hammered for violations far beyond giving a total of $4,500 worth of services to more than 60 football players.

Draft saved Draft deleted