1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boise and Nickelback

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UNCGrad, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

IUf he's writing a review, it's fine... If he's writing a "What to do around town" column, it's fine...

In the context he did it, as funny as it was, it was pretty unprofessional.

2. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I know if I asked for a preview story for a football game, and the writer turned in something that said both teams stink, and your money would be better spent elsewhere, I would be most unhappy.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It appears to be an alternative weekly in Boise. I suspect mocking Nickelback is not viewed as a grave transgression.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I like Nickelback, but I have notoriously shitty taste.

5. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

It's a matter of credibility, though, isn't it? If you don't take what you do seriously, why should anyone else?

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The publication would have less credibility if it told people to buy tickets.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Again, it's an alternative weekly. Its audience isn't going to be looking for that. His follow-up article included the line "The f$&@ing Poynter Institute for journalism even emailed me with an interview request about this circus."

And besides, I don't think pretending Nickelback doesn't suck in any way equates to "credibility."

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Unless you're selling tickets to the game, why would you give a flying fuck? Last I checked, newspapers were meant to report facts. If you're previewing a game between a pair of 2-7 teams, why would you have some obligation to make it seem like some clash of titans absolutely not to be missed?

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'd rather have this than the glowing tributes written for entertainment sections that pull a muscle trying not to say that critical consensus is that the band is awful. I remember reading a small town's entertainment section try to make Eddie Money sound like he was still on top of the world as a performer.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Wait, you mean he's not?? [/byh]

;D

11. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

The surprising thing to me is how this story has become a continent-wide topic. If I read this paper regularly, I probably would have laughed and shown some of my friends (partly so we can ponder exactly how he meant for us to bang our domes with hanging hammers: Running through the house? Incidental contact? Beats me), but I don't really see why anyone else gives half a hoot.

Draft saved Draft deleted