1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bogut Bashes NBA and American Culture

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by IU90, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IU90

IU90 Member

Exactly

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Not surprised to hear that reaction from you at all.

I never assumed Bogut was talking about anything more than the NBA culture in his comments. I never applied them to all Americans the way some may have.

Oh, and some of those European stiffs are a lot better than the no-shot, all dribble and can't finish Americans they beat up and down the court. See Tony Parker and Dirk just for starters.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Wow. Xenophobia on display at its finest. Sometimes you amaze me, Zag. This, however, would not be one of those times.

4. IU90

IU90 Member

Good lord, what a drama queen, makes it sound like living in Houston making millions of dollars as an NBAer is enduring torture. I love these lines:

"He didn't adjust to the American way of living. 'I cannot survive. I must stay at my home.' I do not understand how they cannot understand. It's something serious."

"I don't understand how they don't understand. He said, 'I cannot live there. I thought I can. I was very happy when I signed the contract. After eight months, 10 months, I don't want a single second more.'

What exactly could've been SO excruciatingly unbearable about his NBA/American experience? I've got to check out Greece if life there is THAT much better than here.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

IU, it may be hard to describe, but some people just enjoy the life they were living as they were growing up to the life they leave for. I have friends that are up moving from the US to go back to China. When asked, they simply say that they like life better there. Having been over numerous times, I can understand their sentiment yet not share it.

As with Bogut, I will state that he could very well be speaking for all of American culture.

Didn't we have a thread on here not too long ago about how someone was disgusted to walk into the home of a mother on welfare that had a big plasma screen in her living room?

Let's be realistic about the American lifestyle right now. It is a joke. The average American savings account is in the negative. That means we owe money. Seriously, where do you people think this money is going to? Is everyone just spending money on food and groceries and barely making any income to afford anything more?

So, Bogut says that Americans are buying fast cars and big houses. Hmm, I wonder why there is a bunch of foreclosures coming out. Could it be that Americans are buying houses that are bigger and thus more expensive to afford?

6. F8vortex

F8vortex Member

and crocodiles, crikey!

7. IU90

IU90 Member

Pastor, I thoroughly agree with you, it was just his hyperbolic "I cannot survive one more second there" type stuff that cracked me up. Can life as an NBA millionnaire really be that unbearable?

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I've been to Greece, and Houston ain't no Greece!

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It isn't about "life" as an NBA millionaire. It is a comfort zone. Yeah he has an incredibly comfortable living. But the reality is that his comfort is entirely based on the artificial and superficial. He isn't around people that share certain values or maybe understand his jokes.

It is one thing if you grow up with these types of people. It is another if you enter the world and begin to look around.

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Pastor, what you wrote just perked my ears up and started thinking about it. I never thought about the "comfort zone" level at all when it comes to professional players and being a millionaire.

It can quite easy to say that all of the guys are wannabe hooligans and insulated from the average joe, but within that wall are those who are not comfortable adapting to the way of life that most players has become familiar with. Call it "quasi-peer pressure." The thought is that if you make as much money as we do, then we expect you to act like us, behave like us, and throw money around like us.

Bogut, to me, is saying that he would rather have his own "comfort zone" and not adopt what the majority of players consider as acceptable.

Zagoshe, if you want to act like a xenophobe, I'm sure Adolf will have some free time to talk with you. His address is:

Hell
    c/o Lucifer
    100 The Core of the Universe
    Planet Earth 00000

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Dirk? He is the fucking poster child for 7-foot Eurotrash stiff -- who the hell wants a 7-footer that can shoot from 25 feet away but is too much of a puss to bang under the basket? I'd take about 30 players in the NBA as my star over Dirk the choke artist and his performance under pressure this year and last is exhibit A of why.

Most of these Europeans wouldn't exist if a "global NBA" wasn't David Stern's wet dream.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Xenophobe? Add that to the list of all the other labels which the politically correct among us throw around to try and make people who disagree with them seem like meanies......

I have no problem with immigrants being here, but if you are going to be here, STFU and do what you are paid to do or go the hell back if you think your country is so much better.

And I'm sure a whole lot of us are all broken up because vasoline spamhead is going to leave and go back to Greece. Hey Vasoline -- don't let the door hit you in your hairy ass on the way out, jag off.

And Pastor -- people in this country would have a lot more in their savings account if our government didn't tax us to death.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.