1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BofA tries to shame son into paying his dead mother's credit card

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Husbands and wives, sure.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I would think that if the spouse isn't a co-signer on the card then he/she wouldn't have to pay.

But that's just a guess.

3. Thanks a lot, Vice President Joe Biden, for running the ball on behalf of these vultures.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think you'd still be responsible for paying.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

BofA stock went up on that report, though. Wall St. loves that kind of aggressiveness.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You can't take it with you, but nothing say they can't try to chisel it out of your grieving kids!

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

How so though? I mean, god forbid something were to happen to my wife, couldn't I just say "Screw you guys"?

It would only negatively affect her credit I would imagine.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The estate would still owe the money, and assuming you are inheriting a chunk of the estate ....

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Well, no, I get that.

What I mean is, let's say she doesn't have an estate. Couldn't you just tell them all to screw?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure, you could tell them that. But assuming you the surviving spouse have money, I think they are going to come after that.

How are you going to tell them that money is yours, not your wife's?

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I took out a small private loan to pay for a summer session of college (I had exhausted my federal money for the year). One of the things I always found funny was a small-print clause in my contract that stated that in the case of my death, the loan distributor could come after my co-signer. They would not let me take out a loan w/o a co-signer; it was required for anyone who applied for it.
    Needless to say, I've been paying more than the required amount on that one for the past several years and damn near have it paid off.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The bank needs their money.

I hate to say it, but if you are 80 and have $20,000 in credit card debt, you have to assume your children will pick up the tab.

I work with a guy whose brother killed himself. The brother had a shitload of debt and not much equity. In fact, he died owing more money than he had. I don't think he had shit for insurance.

He had no spouse or children, so since he was a co-owner in their since departed mother's house it has just turned into a mess. They cannot sell the house until they sort out the brother's crap.

There is a legal way out of this, I think. Either he had a will and it's screwing up the process, or he did not have one and that is making things hard. I cannot remember.

I just know that I do not want to be a financial burden to those I love when I pass on.

Draft saved Draft deleted