1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby Womack has Alzheimer's

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl, Jan 2, 2013.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

http://music.yahoo.com/news/bobby-womack-diagnosed-alzheimers-disease-171514522.html

Very sad news.

2. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

Early stages, but at just 68 - damn. I'm not nearly as familiar with his catalog as I should be, but I've always thought 'Across 110th St.' was an awesome song.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Alzheimer's sucks. Both grandmother and mother had it. Hard to watch in someone you love and powerless to do much about it.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That whole album is awesome. If the Superfly soundtrack didn't exist, it would be the best blaxploitation soundtrack.

Womack also played on all kinds of albums as a session player in the 60s and 70s. Played a lot of guitar on Sly & The Family Stone's There's a Riot Goin' On.

Very sad news.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Just got through reading the posts here and it's good to see there are young people on here who know something about Bobby Womack. However, his body of work goes waaayyy beyond Across 110th St. Did you know he began as a prolific gospel singer and tried to imitate Sam Cooke. He even married Cooke's wife after he was killed. Google, Dogpile, or used whatever search engine you have. Listen to his music. I think you might like what you hear.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

A shock, considering he was making a comeback - he had just put out an album a little over a year ago, and was touring fairly recently.

Draft saved Draft deleted